Discuss Outbuilding Smoke detector required? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

SSE

-
Reaction score
Do you have to fit a smoke detector in outbuildings? It's a new build, about 20metres from the house and is half kennels half storage area? Someone told me there's no need but I wasn't sure if that was correct

You may want to go for an optical beam and shield it from vermin / bird movement , as the varying temp and humidity may well play havoc with a standard domestic one .

would need to know more abaut the build, is it fully open area, or seperated rooms, flat or pitched roof, and what is being stored.

It's kennels mate, they're storing dogs :)
lol Trev....If straw, hey or dried foods are being stored, then this adds to the dust level, Have designed for Wildlife Charities, and there are a lot of issues, like no sounders in animal areas due to their hearing range, will be the same with dogs

Was a good comment tho.....Would think Building control will just ask for fire protection without any technical input

If I were you I would put a smoke detector in,better safe than sorry.I don't think there is any requirement,other than on a new build or refurb of a domestic to have a smoke detector in an open area on each floor.

If I were you I would put a smoke detector in,better safe than sorry.I don't think there is any requirement,other than on a new build or refurb of a domestic to have a smoke detector in an open area on each floor.
May not be classed as domestic, plus it could be a harsh enviroment hence JD6400 is thinking on the same lines with Beam or air sampling. Normal smoke are not going to work here, the will be going off every five minutes

Thanks for replies. Basically it's a rectangular shaped building, half of it is to be used to store tools and an old tractor, the other half is split into 3 kennels for the owners dogs. It has a pitched roof. Inside there are no plasterboard ceilings, it's opened up as he is storing wood etc on top of the joists. The architect doesn't have any smoke detectors as a requirement but as has been suggested it's probably better to have one in.

Right now with have some info...Suggest you evaluate the amount of dust, and possible water mist when cleaning down, as most animal pens use steam cleaners. A commercial alarm panel would be best here, with siren/strobe on outside of building, as i believe sounders are really painful to animals ears. If the dust level is fairly low the ionization smokes will be required, optical are no use in this enviroment. If there is alot of dust and water spray, a optical beam detector can be powered and linked off the control panel. Placed 500mm below the highest point of the roof, it can be adjusted to most situations. would suggest Fire Beam Company units, very easy to setup, cheaper and quicker than fitting 3 or 4 detectors down the building....hope this helps

It would help to know the relative flammability of the dogs that are being held there. Some dogs are notoriously flammable and classed as higher risk. I think there is a BS chart somewhere showing each breed against its particular Df classification. High Df figures will need more rigid fire protection and possibly sprinklers. Daz

Change of plans I've now been told. There will be ceilings going on the joists now! I'll only need to fit a smoke detector in the workshop/storage area now I'd imagine.

Change of plans I've now been told. There will be ceilings going on the joists now! I'll only need to fit a smoke detector in the workshop/storage area now I'd imagine.
This will now possibly increase the risk of false alarms by bringing detection lower, there is also now a void area above which will require detection

It would help to know the relative flammability of the dogs that are being held there. Some dogs are notoriously flammable and classed as higher risk. I think there is a BS chart somewhere showing each breed against its particular Df classification. High Df figures will need more rigid fire protection and possibly sprinklers. Daz

I know you are taking the pee but you do not know how close to the truth you are ! I have already posted about this a few years ago in a thread titled " worst ever job " or something similar . We had a rewire on a knackers yard with three incinerators that was on contract to burn something like 40 ton of dogs a week ( all from around the Peterborough area ) , that were being brought in by a skip loader and just dumped in the middle of the yard . The largest incinerator ( which we had not long installed for this very contract ) was being worked past capacity so they could keep up , and what can only be described as a small river of liquid dog fat was flowing out of its front door and was being covered with a scattering of road salt to soak it up and put it out as it kept igniting . Worse still was the fact that all of our main cable runs ran past the front of this incinerator and we ended up having to pull most of them across the yard around the dead dogs and through the fat ( in between burns) which meant we kept getting covered from head to toe each day in the dog fat ! Apparently they could tell if the load was made up of strays or from the vets because the ones that were well looked after in life , made far more running fat and also burnt far faster , often without the need of the burners once going ! So you were not that far out , you see ! Edit; It may have only been around 20 tons a week , thinking about it again .

Last edited:
This will now possibly increase the risk of false alarms by bringing detection lower, there is also now a void area above which will require detection

Why? It's basically an attic so there shouldn't be any need? Also, I don't know if this makes a difference but this isn't commercial, it's just for the homeowners dogs.

Any void greater than 800mm will require detection, BS standard, if you dont want to follow these rules, your choice. You are signing the cert..

Reply to Outbuilding Smoke detector required? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock