Discuss Outdoor lighting and NICEIC in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

paolo34

Hi,

I'm a new user here so please go gentle.

We have lights fitted into a decking, they're easy to take out, you just pull them up and they are connected to an outdoor plug socket. No rewiring or anything was needed as you just plug them in when you want them to work...

Selling our home at the moment and have been asked to provide an NICEIC certificate, which we were told we didn't need....can anyone clear this up for me please?

Thanks

If the socket was installed as part of the decking lights set up then yes it should have had a cert issued. (Not neccessarily NICIEC as there are others)

Thanks for your reply.

The socket was already there...it was literally a case of placing the lights in and plugging in.....

Also, wouldn't an easy way around this (if it comes to it) just be to take the lights out and install solar powered lights?

I think the buyers believe that the lights are "fixed wired" and need a cert. Certification is for the "fixed wiring" of the house, anything plugged into a socket is an appliance. If the house was going to be rented out then a PAT certificate would need to be handed over (Portable Appliance Test) for any appliances but this should not effect you.

What cert/s do you have? You should have an EIC and/or EICR.

I think the buyers believe that the lights are "fixed wired" and need a cert. Certification is for the "fixed wiring" of the house, anything plugged into a socket is an appliance. If the house was going to be rented out then a PAT certificate would need to be handed over (Portable Appliance Test) for any appliances but this should not effect you.

What cert/s do you have? You should have an EIC and/or EICR.

Sadly I don't think we have anything....certainly nothing was given to us when the work was completed....starting to worry me a little.

but I'm going to take the lights out and fit solar powered.

I would simply write a letter to your solicitor stating that the decking lights are "plugged" into an existing socket and do NOT come under Part P. That should be the end of it.

Thank you for this - this was my view on it as the socket was already present and there have been no extra power, lighting points installed and there have been no alterations to existing circuits.

Is this right?
I just want to make sure I get email to the solicitor correct

Thank you for this - this was my view on it as the socket was already present and there have been no extra power, lighting points installed and there have been no alterations to existing circuits.

Is this right?

You are correct. I would add within the e-mail that these lights are on a 12 volt transformer plug top (I assume) and are not fixed wired. Also give your permission for the buyer to get a qualified electrician in to inspect and test your house before purchase, this is called an EICR if you cant provide your own certs. You can also employ the service of your own electrician to do this and hand over the cert, your choice. Good luck with the house sale.

Is this right?

All you need to state is that the LED lights on the decking are a plugged in accessory. They are plugged into an existing outdoor socket and therefore do NOT fall under the Remit of Part P.

echo murdoch and paul. this is a classic case of suits ( solicitors/estate agents etc., ) not having a clue what they're on about, but they come up with this garbage to make themselves appear knowledgeable. truth is , they're thicker than kitchen fitters, if that is possible.

^^^^ Great minds think alike..... I'm talking about you and Sintra, not me lol. Think the buyer and their solicitor dont know what they are on about as per normal.

I'm quiet this week or I would pop round and do it, bit far for me though. Only been doing call outs, one for a 4 floor shop on an 80A main breaker lol. Thats another thread/story.

Edit:- Tel's fingers are quicker than mine :wink:

just been to fit a new shower, customer bought a mira when i told him to get a triton. water entry on wrong side, so had to alter the pipework. repared the burnt 6m in switch. new switch and pattress, powered up. bloody cold with the low flow light lit. it's a problem round here. water pressure is pants. now he's going to have to get a wet-pants to fit a pump.

Same problem when I work in York. Peak times morning and evening = low pressure. Fitted a pump myself once and never again, it seemed to take forever just to get a few pipes together. Tell customer to get a plumber in ever time now.

Reply to Outdoor lighting and NICEIC in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock