Discuss Outdoor power from a spur in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I recently bought a new build house and asked for a socket to be put on the outside of the house but the builders put the socket in wrong posistion so moved it to another part of the house they have left the part installation of the socket, the wiring was left and covered with a white box , this had a fused spur of the kitchen. What I am wandering is could I use this to connect power to my shed ? I am looking to put light and a single socket for my tumble drier , someone told me that if I was to terminate the wiring into a double pole switch run the socket from that and Also run a second wire from the DP switch into a 3 amp fcu for the light in my shed ?

Would this be suitable ? Any help would be appreciated as I'm pulling my hair out

Pictures can be provided of the spur if needed

The trouble is, anyone can be told how to do something and follow the instructions given but only an electrician with the experience and the proper test instruments will be able to tell you if it's safe or not.

If you want it done properly your best bet is to get an electrician in who will issue you with a Minor works certificate.

In practice yes it can be done but you are limited to the 13A fuse but this should be adequate for your needs. As for the practicalities of undertaking the task I would recommend using an electrician, assuming you are not one yourself.

Hi Matt,

I'm afraid we don't allow threads with unqualified guys asking for step by step instructions on how to do their own electrical work. Threads of this nature will be closed.

You're more than welcome to ask a specific electrical question but installation work legally needs to be tested and certified so we can't encourage people to do their own work when they don't have the equipment or expertise to meet the legal requirement.

I can do the work myself and get it signed off the cost for the work is a lot of money

It might be a lot of money, but is it worth risking your life over?

Electricity can kill you within a fraction of a second, and it only takes a very small current to do so at mains voltage. It is not just the risk of getting a shock whilst doing the work, if the circuit is not designed or installed correctly a fault in the future could kill a person.

A light in a shed and a tumble drier aren't exactly essential items and it shouldn't take too long to save up a bit to have the electrical work done safely.

Would the wiring posted as above be sufficient for this set up ? I plan on running cable across my house wall into the shed inside conduit tacked to the wall ?
thumb tacks or carpet tacks?

Reply to Outdoor power from a spur in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net