Discuss Outdoor socket flush with the ground in the garden in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. n180

n180 Active EF Member

Is there a problem with installing an outdoor IP65 socket flush with the ground, fed via SWA cable?

Are there any regs or issues I should be aware of besides the usual when installing outdoor socket on a wall? Of course, I have to make sure it's in a location where it may not easily be stepped on, or someone to trip over it.

Also, if it is to be flush with ground, should it be flush with a concrete base around it or wood, or in some other enclosure?

2. Baker1988

Baker1988 Electrician's Arms

If you put it flush with the ground woukd you still be able to plug stuff into it? Also ip 65 is protected from low pressure jets and if it is flush with the floor it might get slightly immersed in water (no fully) if it rains hard enough or drains back up which it is not rated for. I personally would not put it flush with the ground just raise it up a bit

• Like Like x 2
  3. ImpededLoop

ImpededLoop Electrician's Arms

The manufacturers instructions are likely to prohibit it. Also they normally require the accessory to be mounted vertically, not laid on its back.

4. n180

n180 Active EF Member

5. n180

n180 Active EF Member

thanks for the info guys, just saw your responses after my alst post.

Yes the immersion in water is a good point. And if the manufacturers instructions really prohibit then, I'll probably leav it.

I take it this is not a common thing to do then?

6. HandySparks

HandySparks Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Neish Electrical Services
    Just get a nice solid post put in (pref concrete), then fix your socket to it. The only electrical thing you want in the ground is a suitable cable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    what i did when asked to fit one for a water feature was to hammer a couple of 4 ft lengths of unistrut into the ground, with a couple of cross bars sized to the double socket. then fed with SWA. socket attached to the strut with zededees and 6mm bolts.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. n180

n180 Active EF Member

Thanks all, thats just the sort of info I needed. I'll get something solid into the ground to act as a frame to stick socket onto vertically.

9. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

I would just make sure its well clean of the ground or mr and misses ant with all their kids will move in proto!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. tomspark93

tomspark93 Electrician's Arms

Just sink it in to the outside wall...
    :rolleyes::D

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    what a bodger. and why has he taken the cpc to the plastic back box instead of the socket.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent You Rock Gmes Staff Member Trusted Advisor

• Like Like x 1
  13. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    Looks like a good solution however it does not seem ip66 with plug top inserted.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. LankyWill

LankyWill Electrician's Arms

I use @telectrix@telectrix method aswell, it's the best method i think. In fact I think I stole it from him in another thread. Done one 6 months ago and no sign of rust, looks minimal aswell.

15. Gazthesparky

Gazthesparky Electrician's Arms

I haven't installed one myself but have used a few. There are special power pod things that are installed in the ground and then you wind them up when u want to use them. The ones I've used have 63a ceeform plugs fitted depends on your use really

http://popuppower.co.uk/

IMG_7004.PNG

• Like Like x 1
  16. Marvo

Marvo GMES....You absolute beauty. YOU ROCK DUDE!!!! Staff Member

I'd also elevate any outdoor socket by at least 8 inches above ground level for all the reasons already stated. Also it will get covered in mud from splashing during heavy rain if it's at ground level.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. uksrevivor

uksrevivor Trainee Access

It looks also likely apart from the previously stated problem of mud and water ingress that anything being plugged into the socket would place undue strain on the appliance cable as it would probably be at 90 degrees from the underside of the plug.