Discuss Outdoor supply for gate control in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I need to supply the gate control fitters with a 10a supply for the control of some new electric gates im having fitted.
The supply would be on the outside wall of what is my Dining room.
My plan is that I was going to come off of an existing double socket into a new fused spur set flush next to the socket.
next I was going to go out of the rear of the fused spur through the wall and terminate in a rotary IP66 20a rotary isolator.
The fused spur would be 13a fused and the cable 2.5mm T&E.
Can you see any problems with this?
I should add I am an Electrician just never done domestic and so no 17th edition etc.
Yes I understand it should be done by a part P but why when I'm more than capable?

sounds OK, but would be better to come direct from CU. own fuse, dedicated circuit. if you are doing as you suggest, it's not a new circuit so part pee is irrelevant, but be aware that a fault on the gate installation can take out the RFC socket circuit. make sure the FCU is double pole so you can fully isolate if needed.

Hi Guys,
I need to supply the gate control fitters with a 10a supply for the control of some new electric gates im having fitted.
The supply would be on the outside wall of what is my Dining room.
My plan is that I was going to come off of an existing double socket into a new fused spur set flush next to the socket.
next I was going to go out of the rear of the fused spur through the wall and terminate in a rotary IP66 20a rotary isolator.
The fused spur would be 13a fused and the cable 2.5mm T&E.
Can you see any problems with this?
I should add I am an Electrician just never done domestic and so no 17th edition etc.
Yes I understand it should be done by a part P but why when I'm more than capable?
Probably because you are over qualified.

I agree with @telectrix , own circuit, run in SWA (so no need for an RCD)... avoid being locked out of your pad by a nuisance RCD :)

Downside, that is notifiable to building control as it would be a new circuit. Find a local spark who will do third party certification and engage their services to inspect etc. and sign off.

The 17th edition qualification isn't based solely on domestic installations, it's across the board so don't know what that's got to do with anything

The 17th edition qualification isn't based solely on domestic installations, it's across the board so don't know what that's got to do with anything
Never needed it for what I've done previously.
Time served Apprentice in the mining industry.
ONC in Electrical engineering BTEC
HNC in Electrical engineering IMEMME

The common consideration is that it is a qualification for domestic environment.
I stand corrected if its not, but as I said never done it so don't know.

Reply to Outdoor supply for gate control in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock