1. We've split off Commercial Electrician Talk and Industrial Electrician Talk from the main Electrical Forum. Please take note when you're looking for and posting new threads. :) 

Checkout the new Electricians Directory which you can add your business details to for free.

We've also teamed up with an insurance firm to offer you guys some discounted insurance. These guys will customise your insurance to fit your needs perfectly. Enquire using the following pages: VAN - FLEET - PROFESSIONAL INDEMNITY - OTHER TYPES OF INSURANCE.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Checkout the new BritishForums.co.uk, register for free and enter the competition to win a £25 Amazon Voucher!

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Outside light - tripping RCD in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.co.uk.

1. hightower

hightower Trainee Electrician's Arms

Went to a job last week, replace an outside light with another customer bought one. Straight swap, few extra holes in the wall for new mounting, job done. Photocell model.

Left the job with a working light. Now, I fitted this in the p***ing down rain, which in itself was a tad silly of me but I wanted this job out the way. I chalked it off as something damp inside and said I'd be back round to look in a few days when it dried up - not a problem as it has a switch so can be isolated leaving the rest of the electrics on and working.

When I went back it hadn't rained since fitting, so should have been nice and dry in there by now. I checked and there was no wires trapped or anything. I'd asked if they'd tried it since and "no", so flicked it on and it works. Left the job, 10 minutes later a message to say it's tripping again.

So the symptoms are the light works fine for a little while, but then starts tripping. Once it starts tripping it continues tripping until seemingly left a while.

Probably a simple one as "dodgy fitting" but wanted to double check on here if anyone had any more thoughts? He's asked me to stick his old one back up, which I'll be doing this weekend at some point, but wanted a second opinion....

2. Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. telectrix

telectrix Appreciated Member Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    test the fitting as in pat.

hightower and DPG like this.
  4. hightower

It'll likely pass though due to it not tripping for the first 10 minutes?

5. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

Not necessarily - the test will stress the insulation more, ie. 500VDC between neutral and earth.
    Daz

hightower likes this.
  6. Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  7. Rob

Rob Trusted Advisor

Could always be something a miss in the photocell electronics.

IR those an you'll likely break them.

hightower likes this.
  8. Richard Burns

Richard Burns Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Richard Burns
    The light itself is unlikely to have any connection to earth in the circuitry so unless something is expanding whilst on and the circuit/lamp is then touching the body of the fitting I cannot see how the RCD would trip from the light fitting alone.
    Where did those extra holes for mounting the fitting go? perhaps near the supply?

Also if the light had been changed before and there is a nice terminal block in insulation tape just inside the wall that got wet during fitting this may be a cause.
    On site investigation is the only way, though it would be interesting to see if it still trips with the old light!

DPG likes this.
  9. hightower

The cable is straight through so no chance of contact. Just finding it strange with it being a delayed trip rather than the second it's turned on

DPG likes this.
  10. Wilko

Wilko Gorillas are Great Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Any chance it's them turning something else on that's under that RCD?

hightower likes this.
  11. hightower

One rcd for install. Definitely not anything else as the light trips as soon as turned on (after the initial delay) - it's that delay turned instant symptom that's making me think electronics of the photocell?

12. wirepuller

wirepuller Trusted Advisor

There could be a N-E fault somewhere else on the installation, sometimes the tripping can be completely unrelated to the apparent cause. Test the whole lot.

DPG likes this.
  13. AyresomeBoro

AyresomeBoro EF Member

Another thought if all else tests out fine - Faulty RCD?

14. sparksburnout

sparksburnout Electrician's Arms

No point looking for complicated solutions, it would be very co-incidental if it was something other than the light (assuming it actually was working OK before!). Just stick the old one back and see how it goes.

FatAlan, DPG and hightower like this.
  15. hightower

Thanks for replies everyone. Old one now back up and no issues, so had to be a faulty light

Wilko likes this.
  16. wirepuller

wirepuller Trusted Advisor

I'd still of IR tested the install....would take 5 minutes to do a global. As it is you've made an assumption that may be correct but it's still an assumption.

17. Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  18. hightower

I didn't explicitly say I didn't test the install. I did IR test it and returned fine. Also clamp tested to see but that returned nothing interesting

sparksburnout likes this.
  19. sparksburnout

How do you mean 5 minutes to do a global? Usually takes about 20 mins for the occupier to run round and unplug everything. Then you have to spend another 10+ mins working out whats still connected......problems pretty obvious here why complicate it??

20. westward10

westward10 Electrician's Arms

Top Poster Of Month

Nah leave it all plugged in, IR to earth job done. Does not more harm than a PAT, if you get problems then unplug.

Des 56 likes this.
  21. sparksburnout

Yeah right on.

22. sparksburnout

Nice one, don't make a drama out of it. Problems obvious, no need to conduct an inquest, times money! Tricky concept for some folks.....

hightower likes this.
  23. Des 56

Des 56 Trusted Advisor

Yet another who deviates from the ABC of testing to improve and speed up fault finding in Domestic installs :thumbsup:
    After all,it's the fault that needs to be located and that can be installation or user cause,two birds with one stone and all that

westward10 likes this.