Discuss Outside light wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Kyle Evans

Hi i have been asked to put a spot light outside my nans house and she wants me to put it on a plug top as she does notwant any damages.. so i was gonna use black flex and just clip it up the outside wall. Am i able to do thisor does it need to go in some sort of trunking/conduit?

black flex outside is OK. but feed it via a FCU adjacent to the socket you're coming off.

Hi i have been asked to put a spot light outside my nans house and she wants me to put it on a plug top as she does notwant any damages.. so i was gonna use black flex and just clip it up the outside wall. Am i able to do thisor does it need to go in some sort of trunking/conduit?

It is a bungalow with attic conversion no way of putting a spur in witout damage. It is protected via a rcd socket tho.

Just for future refference when would i have to put it in conduit/truncking

Just for future refference when would i have to put it in conduit/truncking

When you fear the cable may be susceptible to damage and want further mechanical protection (or when running cable without mechanical protection built in such as singles)? Or when you don't want cables on show and think trunking/conduit will tidy the job up?

what damage could be envisaged by cutting in a FCU adjacent to a socket on an outside wall, then drilling straight out?

Using a plug top will perhaps not be as professional as an FCU, but will give overcurrent protection via the fuse, and isolation by unplugging, which is a recognised method. Daz

What is your level of expertise?

Reply to Outside light wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net