Discuss Outside Sockets Tripping But Inside Sockets Fine? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

AIK

Hello,

Just had new consumer fitted during recent kitchen revamp. Had a couple of external sockets fitted as well.

One fixed to the rear exterior wall, while the other one is fitted inside the garage.

The Consumer Unit is Wylex (NHISS10SL) 10 Way Dual RCD
The Sockets are storm weatherproof switched IP66

In the garage we have a freezer and a dryer. No issues with the freezer but the dryer and lawnmower trip up after a couple of minutes use.

When we use house sockets (Kitchen/Hallway) to operate the dryer and lawnmower there are no issues.
I initially though that there must be something wrong with the dryer or lawnmower but after trying them in the internal sockets I am not so sure.

Any Ideas before I speak to the sparky, thanks guys.

Attachments

• Socket.jpg
    442.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Consumer Unit.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 30
Lol get whoever installed that back and check the rating of the MCB on that socket circuit. Do you have any certification for the installation?

Wonder why they put all the lights on one RCD too??

Edit: Actually the ratings of a couple more could do with looking at!

I was thinking the poor bloke who installed it was in for a reaming, when he had only made a genuine mistake, but looking again, he should've gone to specsavers :sifone:

Hello,

Just had new consumer fitted during recent kitchen revamp. Had a couple of external sockets fitted as well.

One fixed to the rear exterior wall, while the other one is fitted inside the garage.

The Consumer Unit is Wylex (NHISS10SL) 10 Way Dual RCD
The Sockets are storm weatherproof switched IP66

In the garage we have a freezer and a dryer. No issues with the freezer but the dryer and lawnmower trip up after a couple of minutes use.

When we use house sockets (Kitchen/Hallway) to operate the dryer and lawnmower there are no issues.
I initially though that there must be something wrong with the dryer or lawnmower but after trying them in the internal sockets I am not so sure.

Any Ideas before I speak to the sparky, thanks guys.

Yes,there appear to be two circuits serving sockets on 6a mcb's!!!

Did you get an EIC (electrical installation certificate) from the installer?,if you did have a careful look at the schedule of circuits to see if they match what is installed...if you could scan the cert and post it up that would be useful...(remove any names though). If you did not get an EIC then you should have,this comes under part P and must be carried out in accordance with bs 7671.

Thanks Sintra, Murdoch, Sirkit breaker, Wirepuller,

Really appreciate this, here are the relevant scanned docs. I have separated other docs to protect ID the sparks ID.

:thinking:

Attachments

• Scan 3-3.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • Scan 2-3.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • Scan 1-3.pdf
    807.4 KB · Views: 15
sockets on a b6. tripping on overload. cu fitted by a clown.

What about the tests on the other circuits? You appear to be a few lines short!

What about the tests on the other circuits? You appear to be a few lines short!

That is all I was given.

May I ask what other tests should have been carried out? When you say tests on the other circuits (do you mean the external sockets).

Sorry I am clue less. I shall speak to him tommorow. nite

That is all I was given.

May I ask what other tests should have been carried out? When you say tests on the other circuits (do you mean the external sockets).

Sorry I am clue less. I shall speak to him tommorow. nite

Your board has 8 circuits, the scanned documents only show test results for 4 circuits!

Your board has 8 circuits, the scanned documents only show test results for 4 circuits!

He says he only certified the circuits he installed; if I wanted the other four testing he would charge. (would you guys charge extra to test all of the circuits on CU you installed?)

As regards to the MCB rating for AB6 he will take a look at it later today.

if he installed the CU he should have tested ALL circuits, else how would he be sure that they were safe to connect to the new CU, and have no tripping problems?

^^ what he said. the chap who installed the board doesn't demonstrate the competence you need. Is he registered with a scheme?

He says he only certified the circuits he installed; if I wanted the other four testing he would charge. (would you guys charge extra to test all of the circuits on CU you installed?)

As regards to the MCB rating for AB6 he will take a look at it later today.

By changing the CU he has in effect altered the characteristics of those existing circuits. So if this electrician completed a CU change for you, HE needs to certify that both the new circuits comply to current BS 7671 regulations and the existing circuits are safe for continued use, it's part and parcel of a consumer change....

Only extra's as such, if pre check IR tests show there will be a problem with RCD operation, that will need rectification prior the CU change being made...

Hell, how did he mix up a 6A MCB's for 16A MCB's, You'll have to tell us his excuse for that one ...lol!!

You guys are awesome, a member has advised me via private message that since he installed the CU he is responsible for the entire unit so he cant pick and choose what he certifies and what he does'nt.

I have been advised to complain to ECA if he does not provide a Cert for the entire unit.

By changing the CU he has in effect altered the characteristics of those existing circuits. So if this electrician completed a CU change for you, HE needs to certify that both the new circuits comply to current BS 7671 regulations and the existing circuits are safe for continued use, it's part and parcel of a consumer change....

Only extra's as such, if pre check IR tests show there will be a problem with RCD operation, that will need rectification prior the CU change being made...

Hell, how did he mix up a 6A MCB's for 16A MCB's, You'll have to tell us his excuse for that one ...lol!!

sure will.

You guys are awesome, a member has advised me via private message that since he installed the CU he is responsible for the entire unit so he cant pick and choose what he certifies and what he does'nt.

I have been advised to complain to ECA if he does not provide a Cert for the entire unit.

Before you go down the compliant route you should email the spark listing your concerns and ask him for a written response - unfortunately the schemes don't have teeth so all they will do is suggest you ask him back!

A letter to Clive Betts, who is the MP/Chairman of a Parliamentary Committee would also be a good idea as they are looking at this at the moment.

EDIT : How long was he with you for and how much did you pay?

Before you go down the compliant route you should email the spark listing your concerns and ask him for a written response - unfortunately the schemes don't have teeth so all they will do is suggest you ask him back!

A letter to Clive Betts, who is the MP/Chairman of a Parliamentary Committee would also be a good idea as they are looking at this at the moment.

EDIT : How long was he with you for and how much did you pay?

Of course they DO have the teeth, they can remove him from their register!! The problem, is their is no financial advantage/reward/incentive to do so. It'll be like cutting one's nose off, to spite your face!! lol!!

Reply to Outside Sockets Tripping But Inside Sockets Fine? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net