Discuss Oven Circuit Question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

1strangefish

Morning All

I am installing a 6mm T&E circuit on a 32amp MCB (on an RCD protected board) for a 3.5kw Bosch oven. The 6mm is going to a 40amp dp isolator. The oven has a factory installed plugless prewired cable. How do I ensure that the oven cable has adequate protection?
By this I mean that Bosch would only have supplied cable to cover the oven requirements (so to a max of 20amps), MCB covering my circuit is 32amps. I know its right but I can't help feeling its wrong!

Thanks
Fish

There are 2 things you could do. Either change the mcb to a 20A or rely on the fact that the 3.5 KW is a fixed load so it can't overload the cable.

Would you be happy with that Sintra? By that I mean the supplied pre-wired cable is probably going to be 2.5mm, so its a 2.5mm cable protected by a 32A MCB. I guess its no different to a spur off a ring though. Pity they dont make 20A fuses for a FCU, although there must be a reason for that otherwise they would!

Would you be happy with that Sintra? By that I mean the supplied pre-wired cable is probably going to be 2.5mm, so its a 2.5mm cable protected by a 32A MCB. I guess its no different to a spur off a ring though. Pity they dont make 20A fuses for a FCU, although there must be a reason for that otherwise they would!

FCUs are only rated at 13A, that's why you can't get a bigger fuse for them. Daz

You only need fault protection and not overload protection though, so the 2.5 will be fine.

The Oven factory fitted flex is outside the scope of the BS7671

430.1 -- note 4 kinda covers this but been factory fitted it can handle the max current demand of the oven, the mcb is protecting the 6mm not the cooker flex.

Yes I would. Others have explained why.

FCUs are only rated at 13A, that's why you can't get a bigger fuse for them. Daz

Well i've seen and have actually purchased 15A BS 1361 fuses in Cyprus. I've also come across them in quite a few other countries too!! lol!!
Coloured black with white writing, if i remember correctly!!

Reply to Oven Circuit Question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net