Discuss Ovens One at 3.45kw with 16A rating and one at 3.65kw with 15A rating - same radial? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Chris Norman

Hi all,

I recently started training to become a domestic installer. I have some practical experience and some knowledge of part P. Also done a little testing but only continuity and insulation resistance.

A friend of mine is fitting a new kitchen and will be having two ovens side by side. He will get a qualified electrician to do the work but it got me thinking how I would go about installing them.

Both ovens are as follows. One at 3.45kw with 16A rating and one at 3.65kw with 15A rating. I've not taken any diversity into account as figured both ovens could be on at same time.

The first idea I came up with was two seperate radials using 2.5mm twin and cpc with a 20A breaker on each in the CU.

Could both be put on the same radial circuit?? If my calculations are right, assuming no grouping, clipped direct etc. 7.1kw total load so 4mm cable would be adequate (in reality and to future proof 6mm??) with a 32A breaker in the CU. How would this work practically when installing? Cable from CU into 45A cooker switch then into cooker outlet and parallel to second outlet.

Could each one be switched separately but still on same radial? Not sure how that would be installed?

All just theory so your input and explanations would be much appreciated.

Chris

Last edited:
either method would be acceptable. the easiest would be a 32A MCB feeding a 45A isolator in 6.omm then a dual outlet CCU for the 2 ovens. the 2 separate 20A radials would give you the benefit that if 1 oven weer to be faulty, it could be isolated independently of the other oven.

Have you applied diversity to the two cookers?

Haven't applied diversity as figured both ovens may well be used at the same time although I guess not at the same setting/temperature.

Does the '16A rating' mean anything here. I know the circuit breaker will protect the circuit but what protects the actual oven?

Chris

protection of the oven has no bearing on the fixed wiring. any ptotection for the oven should be inside it. usually in the form of thermal cut-outs.

diversity calc. is 10A + 30% of remainder. roughly, thay equates to half the fuul load rating +/- a shilling.

Or do a full belt and braces job and run 2 x 6mm radials, install 2 x 45a dp switches controlling 2 cooker connection boxes, more expensive I know but this way if the ovens are changed all bases are covered. Plus you can isolate each oven if a problem occurs.

I'm not messing with anything don't worry. As stated in my first post I'm in the process of training and I merely wanted to see/work out how I might do it if it was me. Put the theory I have learned in to practice. I'll be fitting the kitchen with my mate most likely but a qualified person will be doing ALL the wiring necessary. Be interesting to see what he/she does.

Reply to Ovens One at 3.45kw with 16A rating and one at 3.65kw with 15A rating - same radial? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock