Discuss Overhead Supply with PME, DNO? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

robo83

-
Reaction score
I have been called to a job that has an fault unrelated to this question.

When conducting checks to earthing and Main Bonding I noticed the earthing arrangement has been converted to PME, there was also no main Bonding.

I have attached a picture, I am a little sceptical to who has altered the earthing arrangement as the board change was 2014, the 16mm earthing conductor now acting as the earth is also 2014.

I was expecting an Earth Rod???

Without further info it is difficult to say who has done this. You would have to consult the DNO.

The board change was done by an electrician who was friend of the family.

No bonding, split load board with sockets put onto non RCD side of the board. That's the circuit I was called too, kept overloading the mcb. Did IR and it's a damaged cable which would have been existing fault when board was changed which is why it wasn't put on rcd , but deteriorated now to taking out the mcb.

I'm going to conduct ze tests, sort the bonding and contact DNO and seek their advice. If ze is too high ill go get a ROD :/

Is this bloke still a friend of the family???

We had the same issue a few months ago, overhead lines with a what looked DIY PME install. Couldn't see an earth rod or where an earth rod would have ever been so phoned UKPN who couldn't tell me if it should be PME, TT or anything.
Took the details of the person on the phone and made a note on our job system.

Sounds like a bit of a mess to sort out. Kerching!

Seriously though, you know what you have to do, so best warn them now about what may need to happen and how much it may cost .....

I'm going to conduct ze tests, sort the bonding and contact DNO and seek their advice. If ze is too high ill go get a ROD :/
Worth getting the DNO to send someone round to take a look and confirm whether it's an official PME connection and, if not, whether they can supply one. I've had a couple of similar situations with SSE, who have been very helpful once you manage to talk to someone who knows what they're talking about. You may have to get the householder to make the call and then hand over the phone once it gets technical. If you say that it may be dangerous, it might get their attention.

The cover is off, if not labelled IMO it's a diy jobie, call the DNO to confirm this earthing arrangement.

Called DNO today.

They called back and lady confirmed all PME conversations were done via UK power the past 5 years, she said if it isn't on their system dating back 5 yrs it maybe done before.

However I explained the 16mm earth cable is dated 2014 so MUST be diy. I am back there Monday, the lady has given me her contact details. Once I'm back and confirm ZE they will send out an enginner whilst I am there.

Ill pick up material to convert back to TT just incase.

All this polarva because some clown sparks hasn't a conscience, faulty sockets with no earth without rcd supplying outbuilding and custom PME conversion ...

I can't even leave a job knowing I haven't Clipped a cable sufficiently... Does me nut in....

These are not nice jobs,usually the householder is unaware of the problems and when you mention installing this and that cable,they lose the plot and scepticism often takes them over

The existing connection without any main bonding,whether its a naughty or not,it is a danger as it stands, even a temporary rod until confirmation of the supply and the main bonds can be sorted would lessen the danger

letus know the Ze , PSCC and PEFC ?

Ok update
ZE:0.41
PSCC: 1.07kA
PEFC: 1.12kA

I informed UK power, they sent an enginner out who I just missed. Customer informed via text he was happy with the PME. I am not sure if any alterations were made to reduce the ZE, I am however returning to the job again so will check.

UK power were superb.

If installation not bonded then it should not have been connected. I worked 50 years for dno, pme had to be set up with over head neutral earthed, usually every second pole.

Reply to Overhead Supply with PME, DNO? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock