Discuss Overriding a PIR light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sl1210

Hi Guys,

I am doing a job where the customer has a pir sensor controlling an outside light. they say previously they used to be able to leave it on the sensor when switch was in the off position, and have the light permanently on when they switched the switch to the on position.

How would i go about wiring it????

What i was thinking is with a live and a neutral at the switch, i would using a 2-way switch send the 1way switch line to the live at the light to keep it permanently on, and the 2way switch line to the live at the sensor, making the light only come on when there is movement.

Am open to better suggestions???

L and N from FCU to switch. then 3 core to PIR. brown is perm L to PIR Lin, black from sw to PIR out. grey N. appropriatly sleeved ( i have omitted mentioning cpc for reasons of clarity.) then L/N from PIR to light

so when you say brown perm l to pir line, do you mean from switch common???

so when the switch is on wouldn't you have a double feed going to the pir out, if it detected movement also???

yes, but it doesnt matter. all you are doing with the switch is bypassing the PIR with a manually fed live. (or line if you're under 30). think of the PIR as a switch. then all you've got is 2 switches in parallel. either one will turn the light on.

ok great. but don't you think my original plan is better as you either have one live to the sensor or one live to the light???? being able to alternate by switching

yeah i'm aware of new lights having the switch on-off twice in quick succession to override, this is an old one though :(

ok great. but don't you think my original plan is better as you either have one live to the sensor or one live to the light???? being able to alternate by switching

yeah i'm aware of new lights having the switch on-off twice in quick succession to override, this is an old one though :(

If you do it your way then the light will need to go through start up each time the switch is changed back to sensor on, this may mean that the customer will decide they want the light off, switch the switch go out to check and find it is on (because it is setting up again) and ring you to say it is not working right. (or flick the switch back and forth and find they have put it to permanently on!

Am open to better suggestions???

Then trust a guy with 17000 posts and nearly 500 thanks!

Or see above post[/QUOTE]
2622 thanks received, 486 given. thanks for the post though.

tony's fine diagram shows it better than my explanation.

Then trust a guy with 17000 posts and nearly 500 thanks!

Or see above post
2622 thanks received, 486 given. thanks for the post though.

tony's fine diagram shows it better than my explanation.[/QUOTE]

Didn't think I'd given you enough 'thanks', but I'd posted it by then. Forgive me I'm new here.

Hi, I am trying get some info on adding a switch to PIR circuit - So that the switch keeps the lights on when on,
and when off the PIR works as normal.. I am looking for a drawing /diagram which shows me how this would be wired in order for it to work.

Reply to Overriding a PIR light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net