Discuss Overvoltage detector and protection 220v in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

F

Fuss

Hi,
I am looking for a device or way of protection single phase 220v equipment from overvoltage.
There is a device AVS30 from www.sollatek.com that does this, however if the voltage is above 320v then the AVS30 is itself damaged.
Is there something that would protect up to 400v.

thanks
John

Hi,
I am looking for a device or way of protection single phase 220v equipment from overvoltage.
There is a device AVS30 from www.sollatek.com that does this, however if the voltage is above 320v then the AVS30 is itself damaged.
Is there something that would protect up to 400v.

thanks
John

What is the source of the overvoltage?

Ie. Atmospheric/Switching/HV faults

Please can you give more details on the equipment you're trying to protect and what type of overvoltage issues you need to protect against.

Depends on cause/type ie spikes from motors starting, lightening etc.
Very soon we will all have to be fitting 'surge suppressors' to all consumer units/ dist. boards.
google surge protection devices or try www.dehn.co.uk. (other brands are available)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very soon we will all have to be fitting 'surge suppressors' to all consumer units/ dist. boards.
Are they ammending the regs in the UK to make it necessary? A few years ago it became mandatory to install surge arrestors to all domestic and commercial main boards in South Africa. A few months later they did a u-turn and made it discretionary again. Not sure why.

Are they ammending the regs in the UK to make it necessary? A few years ago it became mandatory to install surge arrestors to all domestic and commercial main boards in South Africa. A few months later they did a u-turn and made it discretionary again. Not sure why.

No, there are no additional surge protection requirements in the next amendment, I think it was an unfortunately worded prediction!

Problem with surge protection devices are that once they have suppressed a certain number of surges or the surge current is above a certain level they become useless and need replacing.

Problem with surge protection devices are that once they have suppressed a certain number of surges or the surge current is above a certain level they become useless and need replacing.

Agreed, that's why industry seem to prefer overvoltage relays.

Please can you give more details on the equipment you're trying to protect and what type of overvoltage issues you need to protect against.

Thanks for the replies,
This is a common problem for a boat in a marina. The marina has 3 phase and 220v all in the same box. The single phase 220v is made from the 3 phase. If there is a fault it is possible to get 400v through your 220v wires which will burn out all 220v devices.
This is the reason I installed the AVS30, however now after reading the specs further, I see that it cannot handle more than 320v.
That is the reason why I asked if anyone knows of a device handling around 400v.

Interesting, since almost all 230v single phase circuits come from a 3 phase system, whilst it is possible under fault conditions, (usually loss of star point ie Neutral) for this to happen it is very rare.
So if it is a 'common problem' in marinas the wiring must be cr*p or poorly maintained.
EG most factories/industrial units/ hotels etc have 3ph boards with many single phase outgoing ways.

Some marine installations have a floating neutral, ie not bonded to earth. This is to reduce corrosion and is especially common on steel hulled boats. With regard to overvoltage protection there are a few possibilities, I would need to know the exact supply layout to advise.

Reply to Overvoltage detector and protection 220v in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock