Discuss Pain in the --- fans in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

stidge

-
Arms
Reaction score
Any tips on balancing them crappy wooden ceiling fans lads ! Instructions are naff and I have 3 x 3 gram weights to help but struggling to get them right ? Cheers

Going to be trial and error. Fit the weight to one blade and see if there is improvement, if not take it off and try another.

or............

I agree with @Sooby2 .

Doing it with it mounted on the ceiling is going to be tricky. Take it down and hold it so the blades are running in a vertical axis and the heaviest will roll to the bottom, add weights to the others.

Alternatively, since you're unlikely to see the tops of the blades, countersink the heaviest slightly on the top surface to remove weight. Then you don't have to worry about securing the balancing weights. If it rolls quickly, countersink near the outer edge as the turning moment will be greater at the outer edge, slower, move nearer the centre. When you're done, stain the countersunk sections.

Never have I ever done this so so many times that I can fix em by the time the kettles boiled - comes from being raised somewhere hot and without air con. For the doubters, I've never once had a blutac escapee :)

I've never done it, but if I really wanted to do it properly, it's how I'd go about it... it's how I've seen lots of stuff balanced in say engines, but as pointed out, it could take a while :)

Either that or take the blades and rotor off and drop in to KwikFit for a quick spin on their wheel balancer :D

Reply to Pain in the --- fans in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi everyone I've moved into a flat and I've decided to replace the original electric switches and sockets with white ones. I've done them all...
Replies
Views
So, I got a level 2-3 electrical installation diploma fresh out of college with no experience especially onsite. I was wondering whether working...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Looking for someone to help with this dilemma. Image attached to try and explain it better. We have 3 separate lights currently...
Replies
Views
I know this is probably very simple for a lot of you, but I just can't get it to work right right. I've been close, but no cigar. I disconnected...
Replies
Views
I'm about to start first fixing this fire alarm in the industrial unit we are wiring, at the moment its totally empty and eventually will have a...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock