Discuss Panel problem in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

rizla1990

Hi guys, after your thoughts on a problem i have on a panel at a sand quarry feeding the main sand pumps and de-watering screens.
The panels main isolator is tripping at random times, it can run for an hour with no problems then it will blow. There are 2 rcd's feeding the pumps and neither of them blow however the main switch does. I can start any part of the plant in any order and no problems , it will sometimes blow as soon as you turn it on and other times it will all run for 10 mins or maybe 2hours. Im thinking it could be a faulty isolator? Anyone with any ideas? Thanks in advance
Rhys

Its the make of the switch, there is no info on that sticker other than 'trip' on the top right hand side. I will be going there tomorrow so i will be able to look closer. Im just a bit miffed as to why that is tripping and the 2 rcd's arent

An rcd, assuming it is only an rcd will not trip with overcurrent.

Looks the the isolator is a shunt trip, as I can see a CT at the bottom of panel under the isolator.

The earth leakage controller is probably that unit that has 2 red wires to it from the isolator.

Are you sure the 2 motors have RCDs as I cannot see any.

But I'm looking on my phone.

I presume you have done your basic tests on the field wiring and motors...

What was the IR results?

Last edited:
I'll play devils advocate here and say no IR has been done, the motors are starting to deteriorate and the leakage is being detected and the isolator is being forced closed and you have little experience in this field.

Tin hat on and I'm fully prepared for a flaming.

I can't see any individual RCD protection on the MCCBs I presume are installed to protect the pumps. Although under M&Q regs they do have to be protected by a 30ma rated RCD, or another form of leakage detection.

The main isolator does look to include a shunt trip, the coil at the bottom of the panel would detect an imbalance between all phases and earth.

Likely to be just the motor insulation degrading. Two large motors will have fairly substantial earth leakage when combined, especially if they are old or in not a good condition (full of dust etc..)

Get some tests done, and let us know the results. I know what my initial first though it having plenty of first hand experience dealing with pumps in quarries, an it will probably come down to poor design.

The comments on the lack of Rcds.
Have I got the wrong images or perhaps I'm getting senile :)its not been used the panel looks like its only just left the factory

I haven't had time to be there to do any tests yet. It was a call yesterday, went there this morning, turned it all on and guess what, no problems. Stayed there an hour and all was fine. So i left and lo and behold a couple of hours later , phonecall to say the problem had returned. I was unable to return today so told them I would be back tomorrow. The plant is only 10 months old so id hope the motor insulation would not have degraded that bad that quick?

The comments on the lack of Rcds.
Have I got the wrong images or perhaps I'm getting senile :)its not been used the panel looks like its only just left the factory
This is an old photo of the panel before installation, it was the only photo i had. Sorry.

Also my bad for the rcd comment, i meant the mccbs! :rolleyes:

Well, I'd take your clamp meter with you to measure imbalance.

You could possibly measure what the ct is producing and measure that with a multimeter .

Well, I'd take your clamp meter with you to measure imbalance.

You could possibly measure what the ct is producing and measure that with a multimeter .

Thanks for the help, i am rather new to the commerical side of things so am still learning a lot as i go along. Will let you know what i find

Quarry work is hardly commercial. There is a lot more than bs7671 you need to be aware of here. A lot is also statute law whereas bs7671 is not. So make sure you are absolutely sure you're meeting all requirements. As if it goes wrong you will soon be in a world of excrement.

Also worth a note no insurance will cover you if you've departed from some of these standards.

Are those the schematics at the bottom, you need to use them to trace the shunt trip circuit and what it is operated by, usually but not exclusively they look for a N/C loop and will trip the main switch if opened, it can be many things causing the intermitant tripping from corroded control connections, guard limits, O/L auxillaries etc etc.
You need to review and understand the wiring schematics, if unavailable it comes down to tracing and interpreting how the control system operates, failure to approach this the correct way will just cause wasted time and further confusion.
Judging by the colour code of the cable, the control will be AC possible 110v or 230v although the TX is too small to confirm.

Ill second Rob on this, in asking the question you really should be supervised when doing this work, this is not something you can take on when your short of other work, you need alot of experience in this sector or like Rob says, you may end up in deep doodi's, I did 15yrs in control and machinery before I classed myself as competent enough to hit it on my own, although i do cover a large variation of machinery, I'm still on a big learning curve even now after 28yrs.

Like I said the shunt is clearly visible, upper right of the isolator near the 3 phase bus.

It may just need commissioning correctly.

Reply to Panel problem in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock