Discuss panels on barns in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

s18mcn

ive just been to look at a job where there are several barns. The customer is wanting a 11kw system installed, is planning required for the panels? any information would be gratefull!!

As far as I'm aware, planning permission is not required for Agricultural buildings.
From my experience it appears that building control don't have to be notified either.

You need, planning, structural surveys, asbestos check/drilling, you may need DNO consent, although you may be able to get around that one.
And your calculations for cable runs need to be correct, and on top of that the wiring/earthing on farms is normally about the worse you will ever see..

I hope this helps

That is an interesting link, thank you, my experience is that you do need planning on barns for PV.

That said, I always thought you needed planning for PV in a conservation area if they would be visible from the main highway, and so did the my local planning office (really) until I informed him it had been changed, ( found that one out on here) after a 15 min wait he agreed.

Agricultural Permitted Development (APD) rights are subject to different conditions to domestic dwellings. The permitted development that specifically allows solar only covers domestic dwellings.

For APD you still need to apply to the council (fee payable plus lodgement of plans) for them to determine if the development is permitted or not. Takes about 4 weeks.

The barns used to be chicken sheds now owned along with the bungalow on the land by a friend of mine there is a3phase supply to the bungalow so can he have a 11kw system meeting g83 ? What would be a guide price for a 11kw system?

Thanks Ted, so if you are in a hurry, you might as well put in full planning (8 weeks), job done. If you apply for APD and it gets refused, then you would still need planning, so it may well take 12 weeks.
Would you not agree?

I am sorry, and do not wish to sound rude, but are you (s18mcn) an installer?

Because not only do you not appear to know any rules at all, you are asking for a price also.

If you would like me to design, price up and install the job I would be more than willing to help.

Bit harsh earth store not everyone knows every rule I've only previously done domestic installs so by asking advice on the forum I'm looking to widen my knowledge of pv installs both on commercial and domestic.

Sorry, I did appologise first though.
I did give you a list of things that you need to do, commercial are a lot more complicated than domestic installs, and from inquiry to install can take weeks.

Maybe that is why there are so many companies installing on domestics, buy a kit with a G83 compliant inverter and then bolt it all together.

Sadly though, there are some that can not even do that to a reasonable standard.

Reply to panels on barns in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock