Discuss Parallel circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Belios69

Hi, I am training to be an electrician. I am stuck on a question and wandering if someone could help me please the question is; two heating elements of 700 ohms and 300 ohms are connected in parallel. The total resistance of this circuit would be?
Now I think I might be looking into this too much. You know when you look at something and over think I have now got to that stage.

Thanks in advance

It's a simple question so don't try to overthink it. Maybe tell us what formula you think you should be using.

As Marvo said, it's not a hard trick question, it's a simple building block of understanding and one which you should easily be able to research yourself and come back and tell us what you think you should be doing.

There's a trainee section on here for things just like this - maybe @Marvo could move it there and some mentors can help?

You must have done parallel resistor calculations at college mate it's a simple enough equation, I could give you the answer but like the others you give it a bash and we'll let you know if you are right, you can only learn if you try making mistakes is something we all do so don't be worried if you mess it up, try and get into the trainees forum you wont get any grief in there, not that youve had any so far.

Belios, there's a rule mate. No homework questions answered unless you have a go at it yourself. It has to be a proper go though mate, no daft guesses.
Same as the other lads said about the trainee bit.

Belios, there's a rule mate. No homework questions answered unless you have a go at it yourself. It has to be a proper go though mate, no daft guesses.
Same as the other lads said about the trainee bit.

I did have a go at it but just kept stumbling. I feel like a right now a couple of hours away from the books I have returned to them and seen where I went wrong. I now have the answer which is 210. And obviously 1 divided by 700 and 1 divided by 300 added together. Then 1 divided by that answer which was 0.0047 something got me 210.

Thanks for all help feel a bit daft now.

210 is the right answer, so you must have done it right. it's just reciprocals.

with resistors in parallel, you know the answer is going to be less than the smallest of them. if your answer is not, then you know you've cocked up

Thanks for that. Next time I will try and post in the trainee section. I was unsure where to post it

wasa just going to say what trev said.

...And belio,fairplay to you for NOT getting impatient,going away,and having another go. This is an attitude which will greatly encourage members to assist in the future.Respect:conehead:

product over sum - the recommended way to determine the total resistance of parallel circuit with two resistor that have been different values is to use the product over sum method the formula stated as follows;
R1 x R2
_____________ =RT

R1 + R2

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Parallel circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock