Discuss Paralleling conductors in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

overskilled

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Just bouncing something off people here..

Got a job on, customer currently has a single phase 230v 16Amp commando socket he wants changed for a 32A ( Seemingly has a few machines in mind with a larger than 16A draw but below the full 32 that he's considering buying in...hasn't decided which yet tho...)
Its currently supplied via 1.5mm2 6491X singles in plastic conduit (checked the book 4D1A, Ref method B and its good for 17.5Amps) run is sub 10 metres, but a pain in the backside to alter (heavy immovable stuff in the way for starters)
conduit is 20mm, so no way I'm going to pull 4mm2 or 6mm2 singles down there...and because of obstructions..I can't change out the conduit for bigger nor run another piece of conduit..
Socket has to go where its going.

So my only option it seems....pull in another 1.5mm2 line and neutral and parallel them (for some unknown reason the CPC is 2.5mm2 (who knows why...I didn't install it whenever it was done)...which should give me 35Amps so more than enough to cover matters...be a royal pain to pull it in more than likely...but with some extensive blue language...it should be doable. I don't especially like the idea...but I can't see any other way around the problem....

Anyone got anything to add that I've missed here?

The paralleling of the cables would be acceptable and should be OK for CCC.
However if you can get two 1.5mm² cables in there why can you not pull in two 4mm² cables to replace the existing 1.5mm²?
There should be more space to do that than pulling cables against each other to pull in another two 1.5mm².

partly - I'm concerned about 4mm "hooking up" on a couple of hidden bends (had an issue with that recently on a diff job, end kept catching on the entry or the exist of the bend, fish tape will work its way through and the 1.5s should pull through given they are thinner than 4s and a lot more flexible too..decent amount of lubricant will help matters too

Ideally I'd have the 20 out and replaced with 25 or better yet SWA...but neither is an option in this case...

I'd also go for pulling new full size cables in rather than doubling up. If you are having to push a tape round bends past existing cables, there's a chance of damage and the new cables will end up interwoven with the old, making them harder to pull. Consider using fine stranded cable for flexibility, and ferruling at the termination. If you use the old cables as the draw wire and make a gently tapered joint to the new, smoothly taped with tape lapped the right way there's no reason for them to catch. FWIW (and I know it's not a legitimate conduit loading) I once got IIRC 4x 4mm + 6x 1.5mm through 20mm conduit with two 90's and a couple of light sets.

4D1A, Ref method B and its good for 17.5Amps.... ..pull in another 1.5mm2 line and neutral and parallel them...which should give me 35Amps

What about Cg = 0.8? Takes it the other side of 32A...

Fair point on the cg. ...knew I was missing something (looking at calcs and knowing it didn't make sense given 4 is rated at 32 and 2 X 1.5 was coming out at 35...hence posting this...knew there was a flaw in my cunning plan.....lol)

Hmm some rethinking required here methinks. ...

I did actually consider pulling 4 mm2 flex down it and ferruling the ends but didn't seem "right" if you know what I mean. Might end up being the easiest option tbh....

Surely tying 4mm to existing 1.5mm cables and pulling through the conduit is going to be easier than attempting to add another set of 1.5mm through, or am I missing something?

Just out of interest. Also please keep this clean..... :) What is the best lubrication for pulling cables through? I have seen washing up liquid used. What can you use and what can't you use? (e.g. products that react with the PVC)

There is not grouping factor for a parallel circuit. 0.8 is for 2 circuits, a paralleled circuit is just 1 circuit.

By the definition of a circuit as being fed from one OCPD, yes it's one circuit. But for grouping, ten pairs of cables each carrying 1/10 of a 100A circuit, will heat each other up as much as ten 10A circuits. The ten separate circuits would need derating to 4.8A, why would the ten paralleled pairs still be able to carry 10A each?

By the definition of a circuit as being fed from one OCPD, yes it's one circuit. But for grouping, ten pairs of cables each carrying 1/10 of a 100A circuit, will heat each other up as much as ten 10A circuits. The ten separate circuits would need derating to 4.8A, why would the ten paralleled pairs still be able to carry 10A each?

I like you. I has the exact same discussion on this forum with Eng54 about 2 to 3 years ago. The thread went on for a bit, as some may remember.
I was sure I was right in that you had to apply grouping factors. Eng54 and Rockingit said I didn't.
I was wrong.

It may be a good thing that it opens up at the last post. I pity the person who read through the whole thread. It nearly drove my crazy.

Quite.

I like you. I has the exact same discussion on this forum with Eng54 about 2 to 3 years ago. The thread went on for a bit, as some may remember.
I was sure I was right in that you had to apply grouping factors. Eng54 and Rockingit said I didn't.
I was wrong.

Just because one or more 'respected members' with high post counts argue against you, doesn't mean that you're wrong.

BS7671 doesn't appear to cover the subject explicitly (which is a bit of a mistake, in my opinion), but those arguing against de-rating of single-circuit parallel conductors need to read BYB Appendix 4, para 2.3.1 and 2.3.2 plus the notes below table 4C1.

"2.3.1: Methods of Installation A to D...
Current-carrying capacities given in tables 4D1A to 4J4A apply to single circuits consisting of :
(i) ... two single core cables or one two-core cable
(ii) ... three single-core cables, or one three-core cable."

Which could imply that they don't apply to single circuits consisting of other arrangements, ie parallel conductors.

"Where more non-sheathed cables ... are installed in the same group, the group rating factors specified in Tables 4C1 to 4C3 need to be applied."

I'm assuming that (i) and (ii) refer to single phase and 3 phase respectively.

2.3.2 Covers de-rating for other installation methods.

OK I've just skimmed that thread and think I see where the all the disagreement came from, everyone is at cross purposes and all sorts of irrelevant arguments are thrown in along the way. I'm typing a reply that I think will settle it.

Reply to Paralleling conductors in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock