Discuss Part P Visit/assessment in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

That's absolutely ridiculous. So you get in touch with 2 customers, tell them to book a day off work so you can bring the assessor round to "check" your work, then he goes to the other job first and decides he doesn't need to go to the second. Customers are going to love that, what a load of crap.

I've never told a customer to book a day off work. Aren't any of your customers retired or work from home or looking after kids at home?

OK, I may not have many to choose from, but it's never been a problem.

I've never told a customer to book a day off work. Aren't any of your customers retired or work from home or looking after kids at home?

Yes, they are. But apparently, Stroma are picking them from the list of Notified jobs. I am sort of part-time so do not have a massive list to be honest. The thing that cheeses me off about them as well, is the fact that they are ****ing hopeless to communicate with. They never respond to emails, and if you phone them you just end up talking to some bimbo who has to refer it on. Sorry, but that's how it is. If I register again I reckon I am going back to NAPIT.

I'm same. I've not had a customer yet who hasn't been comfortable to give me keys to their house when I've asked them.

Yes, they are. But apparently, Stroma are picking them from the list of Notified jobs. I am sort of part-time so do not have a massive list to be honest. The thing that cheeses me off about them as well, is the fact that they are ****ing hopeless to communicate with. They never respond to emails, and if you phone them you just end up talking to some bimbo who has to refer it on. Sorry, but that's how it is. If I register again I reckon I am going back to NAPIT.

Sure, if it's Stroma, NIC, etc. picking two from those notified in the last year, it may be a problem. On the other hand if I'm doing the picking, then one main job plus a backup isn't too bad.

So would you just hand over your house keys then?? I wouldn't

No, in most circumstances I wouldn't. But my customers seem to trust me enough to extend that courtesy to me to enable work to get on. It's how most of my domestic work goes on really. People would rather do that than lose a day off work I find.

No, in most circumstances I wouldn't. But my customers seem to trust me enough to extend that courtesy to me to enable work to get on. It's how most of my domestic work goes on really. People would rather do that than lose a day off work I find.

I get this too fairly often, much easier to have the place to yourself when cracking on with a job.

Stroma specified to me which job they would like to see which was installed through another company for a new rental property via the landlord and would now be occupied by new tenants so no way to get back to it.
I told them it was impossible and they selected a different job that I could go to, unfortunately it was an ancient install with lots of problems but that's life.

Dear all, I've got my Competent Persons Scheme assessment with Stroma coming up and I wondered if anyone could give me some advice on what their hot topics are.

I'm flapping a bit because this will be the first time I've been through this as I've always worked with someone else.

It's quite normal to 'flap a bit' Daren, if you didn't it would probably mean you're over confident.

I have had 3 visits from Stroma now. I generally get the same assessor who is very thorough, but fair. You may well find that he does not pass you there and then, try not to be disheartened by that, it simply means you have to take a few pictures of the bits he wants to see and send them through, then you get passed. I'm talking about a 'complaints procedure' or 'health and safety policy', which most small sole traders will never have heard of before they try and get assessed. However, you need these sort of things to become registered.

If you don't have all the bits that he asks for he'll explain what he needs and (like I've already said) then you send them through.

Off the top of my head you'll need:

Part P document (up to date)
Public liability insurance (proof of)
calibration documents for your MFT or whichever test equipment you use for your certs.
complaints procedure
health and safety policy
risk assessment
BS7671
qualification certificate.
(some ask for you to have a cal card)

Good luck!

Reply to Part P Visit/assessment in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net