Discuss Part P in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DurhamSparky

Just to sum it up

Part P is a building Regulation that is statutory and which must be followed when carrying out electrical work in domestic property.

Part P is NOT a qualification and any body going around saying they are Part P qualified and have a certificate are talking Bull....!! You DO NOT need to do a 2 week VRQ course
Electrical Course | Part P Electricial Course like this one with a training scheme to register as a Competent Person.

YOU NEED TO BE COMPETENT....!! this can be achieved by undertaking formal Electrical Quals at a college or by a training provider...!!

You do however need to know about the building Regs and Part P....!! you can download Approved Document P from the planning portal website.

The following schemes are the most popular with domestic sparks. Elecsa, Niceic and Napit. Upon registration with them you will be required to conduct a formal technical site assessment that will involve you changing or modifying the electrical set up drastically (Rewire/ Cu Change)

If you pass the assessment you are then freely allowed to carry out work in areas designated by building control that fall under the Part P umbrella http://www.partp.co.uk/downloads/public/CLGbuildingworkleaflet.pdf and any work that you carry out can be notified and signed off through them (the schemes) at a small cost (£2-4) and they will inform LABC for you.

If you decide not to register with a Part P scheme. be preared that notification of work to LABC can cost hundreds of pounds and drastically increase your price. They will also expect you to still carry out the tests and paperwork before they arrive to SIGN IT OFF

Recommended courses to do are:

A formal Technical Certificate that is achieved at Level 3 on the NQF (National Qualification Framework) i.e

C&G 2330 or BTEC Advanced/National Diploma.... This gives you the Underpinning Knowledge to build on. (achieved via college or distance learning 18months - 24months is time scale)

You will also Need 17th Edition Wiring Regulations C&G 2382 (if you dont have this you wont get any where in the trade.)

NVQ 3 2356 (its a Craft Certificate that although not needed is very desirable and normally achieved when doing an Apprenticeship but now freely available to "Bolt on" to your current Qualifications via distant learning.

C&G 2391 the ultimate qualification in the electrical world..! Inspection and Testing only to be achieved with considerable site and technical knowledge, closed book exam with a 30-40% pass rate.

C&G 2392 (lesser qualification of the 2391 and aimed at new sparks with little knowledge of inspection and testing, normally used as a starter course to grasp the fundamentals of what's required)

Signing off your work..!!!

you DO NOT need 2391 to sign of your work but you will be expected to have knowledge of inspection and testing to an achievable standard required to carry out and fill in the test results.
You also do not Need 2391 to carry out PIR's but should any thing happen and you go to court the 2391 certificate is your lifeline to prove competence in the field.

hope this helps...

comments and alterations welcome

Last edited by a moderator:
just seems to be the same questions over and over again..! hi im new what do i need..!! or i have been a spark for 20 years and can i sign off without 2391... blah blah!!

feel free to amend as seen fit or emphasis on it more..!

ALOT OF PEOPLE SEEM TO FRIGHTEND TO CALL BODIES & ASK, me included:D

you need insurance aswell to be registerd right???

i need to buy part-p document or download it!!:eek:

so say i was to do a pir & they never had fire alarm's, does that mean they are not compliant???

do home seller's need pir's???

you need public liability to insure your work and indemnity if you were to offer your professional services in respect of periodic inspections.

quick question on part p

Steve your post cleared up quite a few things, but could you tell me how long you get to register a job?
I've just rewired a house that I'm moving into, I'm not with any of the schemes napit elecsa etc.

If I'm to use my house as a job for an assement, how long will the council wait until I get approved by a scheme?

I'm a fully qualified JIB spark btw

un officially it`s up to you when you did the work and when you get your membership if you were to notify it online with your scheme provider

i notified a cu replacement that i used for my assessment when i got my membership through mate, it was not a year but if you have done it to the regs and no body is any the wiser i would say it is up to you when you do register it althoguh that is not an official answer. when are you joining a scheme?

i notified a cu replacement that i used for my assessment when i got my membership through mate, it was not a year but if you have done it to the regs and no body is any the wiser i would say it is up to you when you do register it althoguh that is not an official answer. when are you joining a scheme?

looking at joining a scheme as soon as really, not got the 17th yet so may have to sort that out first as the op states you need your 17th, although the elecsa website says it is preferred but not a requirement, if I have read it right

"You may still pass the assessment by demonstrating competence through your thorough understanding of the IEE Wiring Regulations without a qualification but you will be required to achieve the qualifications within the first 12 months of your registration."

"You may still pass the assessment by demonstrating competence through your thorough understanding of the IEE Wiring Regulations without a qualification but you will be required to achieve the qualifications within the first 12 months of your registration."

yep thats what I meant;)

give them a ring mate tell them what quals you have and take it from there they are friendly set up there and will sort you out.

Thanks Steve, but one question (don't bite me head off): I'm saving up money to get on the NICEIC, so in the mean time can I do a full scope part P course to be able to sign of my work and not have to pay building control or would I have to pay building control anyway? my highest cert is 17th edition.

Reply to Part P in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net