Discuss Part P in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I have applied for NICEIC registration and now need to find 2 new circuits to put in to complete registration. I have only found one such job so far. Can't publicise myself as 'Registration Pending' so all I've got is word of mouth and all the jobs I'm getting from friends and friends of friends are minor works. Catch 22

You can usually use you own house for your 1st inspection

I have applied for NICEIC registration and now need to find 2 new circuits to put in to complete registration. I have only found one such job so far. Can't publicise myself as 'Registration Pending' so all I've got is word of mouth and all the jobs I'm getting from friends and friends of friends are minor works. Catch 22

guess what i believe that you can take a hint and as such i would say " what your parents garage needs a extra socket done on a radial " obviously make sure the system that it actually connects to is suitable but you get the picture ....( there is nothing to say that the work done has to be paid for or cannot be done in a neighbours or family property so in effect you would be better to have 3 jobs one consumer unit one power and one lighting i expect they will choose the consumer unit first then the lighting !!!!

as for some of the other commets i have read i agree its a unfair system but unfortunatly its the way of the land if you want to work then choose the manner for your fleecing .. i still agree that the scheme has many advantages but its regularity i dont agree with a assessment 3 to 5 years would be better i cannot see the regulations changing that often however did you all see the mistakes in the first of the 17th edition hence why it was revised..

Recently i met a man who was of to a major organisation for a course on how to " be a electrician in england " in just 2 weeks he would be able to do your job best of all the answers would be provided by the training scheme after all there is such a major short fall of electricians in the country " thata because half of them are not electricians they are idiots who done a course and expect to become one in a very short time "

frightening but i dont worry when i sleep after all they didnt wire my house !!!

Thanks for the advice. I have put a new consumer unit in a friends house and will be putting one in to another friends house so hopefully 2 new consumer units will be enough for NICEIC.

Hey you got it!!!! amazing.... thank you for giving as more knowledge about it...

yeah!!! two thumbs up :29:

- - - Updated - - -

Just sent off the paperwork to NICEIC to get my inspection for registration. As mentioned above I have fitted 2 new consumer units. Has anyone been through this 1st inspection process recently? What should I expect?

From the NICEIC website

The qualification is achieved following successful completion of all 14 modular components, each of which has either practical assessment units and/or multiple choice theory assessment units. The modular components cover the significant aspects of electrical installations practices associated with domestic premises and when completed will satisfy the competency requirements of the Government Approved Competent Persons Schemes.

The DISQ is a 5 day programme comprising of training and assessment, to meet all the needs of the competent person scheme

You may or may not agree with my comments, however I need to make these comments because I feel the Niceic is, and has bee,n destroying the domestic sector for the traditional spark

There is no critisism of yourself intended with my comments,because this course was hopefully intended for people with the on the job experience that you have but who lack qualification for domestic installs covered by part p building regs

There is no evidence of on the job experience or training required as a pre requisit for entry on to their course that I could find,so they just sign them on,charge a lot of money then sign them up

How do they possibly think that 5 days of training manages to give the theoretical and practical skills required before being let loose on the unsuspecting customer, wholly unprepared unskilled workers , with the endorsment of that deplorable organisation the Niceic the customer may be unknowingly re assured by registration with that contemptable lot

What takes many people years of hard work and study ,to then find that an organisation such as the Niceic promotes this sort of thing is pathetic and annoying

If I were a member of that shoddy outfit I would make it known to them that they are selling the trade of electrician down the river for a few bob in training fees :mad:

There got that off my chest :)
Good post I have been saying that for a long time.
It seems a case of using semi skilled DS to fill the void left by the lack of apprenticeships.
I came out my time 1978 I went back to college2oo7/8 done EAL domestic installer, ( part P )
17th edition and 2931 ,
No problem with Qualifications . However paying to prove I am competent. After being in the game over 30 years
Ok thats my rant over, for now

Hi Old Dog

I didn't do that course I did an NCS 18 month course. I got made redundant aged 49 and wanted to retrain as an electrician. There was no government support for someone my age doing this and no one providing the training locally so I did a home study course with 4 away weeks. I realise this does not make me as capable as someone who has done a 3 year apprenticeship but I've got to start somewhere and I am determined that I will not do anything that is beyond my capabilities. Electricity is just too dangerous to take risks with,

Hey man.... Don't knock the right wing/Tory elite they will be the saviours of this once glorious nation. It's you safety obsessed lefties/unionists with your criminal labour government who have F'd the country beyond all recognition....

It was f'D up long before Labour got in!! You must have completely or conveniently forgot about the 17 years of Maggie and Major!! The greed and criminality culture, can be directly linked to that era of time!!

And No, i'm not a Labour or any other UK party supporter....

I've lost the will to live.... 11 pages later....

Did the 2382-12 17th edition in January, been sparking on and off since I left school.
Due to appalling lack of work in the NE, thought I would re-start the sparking. No wonder guys don't bother getting Part-P etc, its just not made easy is it.
Why not simply have a system... show your credentials, do a test... you are Part-P.
I don't want to join some third party fleecing association, I had enough of the Niceic the first time around.
Yet in the current climate, you can't afford to bang £100 on your price to cover the local building inspector to pop out.
Even after 11 pages, I am still no wiser. If I start up tomorrow, with my spanky 17th edition, I still need to register with say... Napit or someone.
Then, I am technically trading without Part-P, until they come out and inspect some of my work. However, I can't get the work... cause I am not Part-P.
And if I do get going.... am I then obliged to spank yet more money on the 2391?
Madness

Good luck to you mate , Yes we all have to start somewhere , When I left school I was one of the lucky one's .Nothing wrong with a late start . I am back at college now doing a computer maintenace course , two nights a week for a year . It wont make me a computer engineer. Sorry for the rant it just gets me going when someone tells me they are a Part P Electrician , Rant number 2 over
Hi Old Dog

I didn't do that course I did an NCS 18 month course. I got made redundant aged 49 and wanted to retrain as an electrician. There was no government support for someone my age doing this and no one providing the training locally so I did a home study course with 4 away weeks. I realise this does not make me as capable as someone who has done a 3 year apprenticeship but I've got to start somewhere and I am determined that I will not do anything that is beyond my capabilities. Electricity is just too dangerous to take risks with,

Good luck with your Computer Maint course BUT depending on age you may find it hard to get work, I would check out Computer Forensics as a possibility if inclined.
After 20+yrs in IT (Hardware Support) I had to go back to sparking, that was also hard as no one wants an oldy even offering free work just to check my knowledge !.

Cheers to Steve for the original post, the search function brought this thread up and it had most of the information i was after!

Just a quick one though haha,

what is the main difference between the 1 day, 3 day and 5 day part p courses?

Awaits 2-4days as an answer... brilliant.

Does the course have any form of exam? (i read that you do NOT get a cert and it is NOT a qual)

After just completing a 3day 17th course and immediately regretting the additional outlay as i should of clearly just gone for the one day i don't want to make the same mistake again!

Reply to Part P in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock