Discuss Part P in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Alright Tanzmantic, how's it going,

Considering your background, I'd give one of the registration bodies a call. You can speak to someone in relation to what qualifications you already have and they can advise you of any additional ones you may need before they agree to accept your membership application.
The NICEIC, NAPIT and ELECSA all run courses themselves so they may be able to help you in that department too.

Great post DurhamSparky.electrical work.

My advice to anyone who has picked up qualifications but has had very little hands on work is to go and get yourself some experience first.

But can't you see what a nonsense that is?
I'm not making a personal attack either but saying don't gain experience until you've got experience is just not very sensible.
Sorry

Great post DurhamSparky.electrical work.

My advice to anyone who has picked up qualifications but has had very little hands on work is to go and get yourself some experience first.

But can't you see what a nonsense that is?
I'm not making a personal attack either but saying don't gain experience until you've got experience is just not very sensible.
Sorry

I think you have misinterpreted what I have said. I was trying to point out to that doing a handful of short intensive courses does not provide you with much needed experience. It gives you the qualifications and you come away from them with technical understanding but doesn't give you the grounding required in the practical sense. Qualification does not equal experience.

Hi electromonkey thanks for the reply and sounds like a good idea Ill have to give them a ring see what they say and as for experance your totally right only thing with that is (and its the boat I fear I will be in shortly) when it comes to applying for jobs either for personal reasons or redundancy most employers look at the bits of paper you have not the years you have been doing it.........Im sure if I applied for a job as well as some young guy with every piece of paper (but maybe no hands on experance) they would be more interested in him...........we recently had this exact situation where I work young guy with all the bits of paper but when it came to doing the job :toilet:

I was lucky when I joined the guys in charge then looked further than paperwork but my problem now is as I can do the work the MDs dont want to send me on any courses as it costs money so thats why Im looking to do it at my own time and expense....sorry for the waffle lol

<<<doing a handful of short intensive courses does not provide you with much needed experience. --- Qualification does not equal experience.
>>>>

Every body agrees with this. This is the point from which we all start. The question is - what to do about it?

How about we buddy up? Each person with the experience but without the Quals teams up with the person with the pieces of paper but no experience.
A year or two of self employed domestic work should give each one the chance to get their missing experience/qualifications.
I'd say a forum like this would be the perfect place to set something like that up.

Laurie

So am I right in saying. If your competent and part of a scheme you can kick the part P to one side??

>>>>

Every body agrees with this. This is the point from which we all start. The question is - what to do about it?

How about we buddy up? Each person with the experience but without the Quals teams up with the person with the pieces of paper but no experience.
A year or two of self employed domestic work should give each one the chance to get their missing experience/qualifications.
I'd say a forum like this would be the perfect place to set something like that up.

Laurie

Count me in........So who wants to train this thicky and when can we start :0)

Hey all
Ive just gone through this whole thread (11 pages) which has been an eye opener as I AM one of those Joe Bloggs, Mr No-Experience, Short course dudes!
I havent started it yet, or paid either (Im getting funding) but Im thinking I should direct the funding elsewhere as I was always skeptical about how 16 days would turn me into a qualified sparky. Unfortunately, being 41, options are running out and Id spent ages doing research before I finalised on Electrical training, so cock knows what I can do instead.
Incidentally, the training centre I spoke to totally gave me the impression that they were more interested in the money than anything else. When they discovered I was being funded, the greedy dog (I could hearing him slavvering, I swear it) even asked how much I was getting so that he could "extend" my training.
Plus, with no experience, by the sounds of things, Id really struggle with the training, though I was pencilled in to do a 5 day pre-part P foundation...But that means nada to me, it could be important or might be a shopping list.?!?
Thanks for all the posts. Really enlightening.

Paul

I am an approverd electrician with the 2400 design erection and verification certificate, which is more than adequate to be part p registered,with one of the approved bodies.

Regards Rob

I going to become part of napit usually what work is acceptable to Show em as part of the assessment the minute I work for someone and can there insurance be used to cover the work I did. What qualifications and books are needed for all this, many thanks

Hi and welcome.

If you check the Napit website it will have all the info you need.

If anything isnt covered then you can ask the lads here.

They are a good bunch and they dont bite, as i keep them fed regularly.

Hey pcuz, give it a go but choose the training company carefully. I'm 55 and starting out. I did the short course (4 weeks), one week basics, then Part p building regs, 17th Ed. and then 2382. It was a very good course and I met some great people, including experienced sparks (taking parts of the course) updating their quals. I have to agree, though at the end if you pass all the exams and assessments you may be certificated to start in the business, you are most certainly not capable (in most cases, mine included). Lucky for me, one of the experienced sparks took me on board and patiently let me work with him for a while. I've now passed my 2391, and we still work together on and off. If you are willing to learn and listen there is a route in via short courses.

Hello everyone,

This is my first post in here(be nice please) anyway I'm a plasterer looking to get out(sick of the mess) I have done some wiring moving sockets 1st fix wires 2nd fix etc only domestic side nowt to major.

What I'm looking for is what do i need to be able to do domestic work. I.E is it worth paying for part p or is it worth getting the 17th ED. I have been reading alot of the stuff on here and there is that many things iv got myself total lost. I know you guys get asked this question alot some if some could just go here read this or your need etc etc i would really like that if not il keep reading. I only need domestic side of sparks as my dad is a kitchen fitter and if i can past my own work iv got a job etc.

Hello everyone,

This is my first post in here(be nice please) anyway I'm a plasterer looking to get out(sick of the mess) I have done some wiring moving sockets 1st fix wires 2nd fix etc only domestic side nowt to major.

What I'm looking for is what do i need to be able to do domestic work. I.E is it worth paying for part p or is it worth getting the 17th ED. I have been reading alot of the stuff on here and there is that many things iv got myself total lost. I know you guys get asked this question alot some if some could just go here read this or your need etc etc i would really like that if not il keep reading. I only need domestic side of sparks as my dad is a kitchen fitter and if i can past my own work iv got a job etc.

If you speak to the NICEIC they will tell you the minimum requirement is 17edition and Part P (or DISQ) these courses will only prove you know the basics, being time served is the only true way of being an electrician.

Hope this helps

If you speak to the NICEIC they will tell you the minimum requirement is 17edition and Part P (or DISQ) these courses will only prove you know the basics, being time served is the only true way of being an electrician.

Hope this helps

Yes it does thank you very much for the fast reply i understand il never be a electrician and 4 years at college is not a choice i have at my age now. I just want a job i can enjoy and get paid for moving sockets in kitchens little rewire easy life for me.

Good advice from Eliminator Guy (though he looks pretty frightening). You will need both of those qualifications plus you will need to be able to test your work so that you know that you are leaving it safe. You need to be able to put it in according to the regs and then confirm that it is connected properly and working and safe. Most of the courses provide all the qualifications, but then doing it without a safety net is something else. Best find someone with some experience to help you till you are confident and safe.

My m8 has been a sparky for 40 odd years so he is taking me under his wing for the next year but he is not up to date with test he just does work and his pal tests and passes it etc I dont know the crack there but works for him. I just want basics so i can pass and test my own work. I would never do anything i thought would hurt someone( i dont fancy going to jail or killing someone) moving sockets running cables etc nowt to much. i agree with everyone on here about ppl that just jump on part p and go yeah baby im a sparky etc ( same as me doing 4 years plastering and someone does 4days and tells me its the same) but they can plaster but they are not at the same level I'm If you understand my point. Just want to be safe and pass my own work with out doing 4 years or more at college and im not wanting a micky mouse ticket at the same time. I will always call a sparky if its past my skill level not chancing others or my own life.

Reply to Part P in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock