Discuss Part P in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Guest77

It is a Building regulation, thats right a Building regulation, not a Electrical qualification. If you read it (you can download it on-line) then you will see that some works, and only some as it is getting less now needs to be notified to the local building control. Now there is nothing to suggest an Electrician need notify the local building control authority, nothing at all anywhere, this is a myth, and a myth we are all getting fed up with. The customer is duty bound to do this just like if they decided to have a loft conversion or indeed a extension on their home. To be competitive some electricians join a scheme so they can notify for the customer on their behalf and the fees are usually a couple of quid instead of the 2-300 the local authority would charge the customer if an Electrician didn't do it for them, this way the customer gets to save some money and the Electrician wins work. The schemes have a policy which they suggest if they get people to join them they will guarentee to the local authority the people they approve are competant, for this privilage they take 400-500 off these people, usually Electricians, but some Plumbers and Kitchen Fitters join as well, The local authority building control then accepts the fact the people on these schemes are competant and do not go out to site to inspect the works, this is why the cost is just an administrative one at a few quid and not hundreds. If you are a competant Electrician for example with a Gold card and plenty of experience why do you need to pay a scheme hundreds of pounds a year to have them tell the Local authority you are competant? If you are Competant then get stuck in and start work. If the work you do does need to be notified then you can ask the customer to do it or include an extra couple of hundred on top of your quote for you to do it. There is no judge in the whole of the UK who will find you guilty of anything wrong doing if you carry out work to BS7671 correctly without being a member of a scheme, we don't need them do we? so why are we paying them 500 a year? I can confirm I no longer pay them, I have left the NICEIC, I am competant, I have over 30 years experience, I will not give them 500 quid to tell someone else I am competant.

Please do not keep going on about being part p qualified, it is all Rollocks, rant over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your right pal. But just to add to that, approved document p is a legal document which has to be abided by -by law. BS7671 is a regulation and is not law.departures can be made, but if they are made and something goes wrong and you end up in court, a judge will frown upon that.
Just saying.
And thanks for starting the thread, hopefully it will educate some people!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm part p qualified too, I did the part p qualification, lol just kidding.. Nicely put MDJ, regardless I'm sill going to keep the Part P Approved decals on my van as for some reason people like to see it.

But just to add to that, approved document p is a legal document which has to be abided by
No, it isn't.

It does contain TWO actual legal quotes, Part P itself and the Notification list (in the shaded boxes) but that's all.

The rest of it is someone's idea of what you should do (maybe correct) for those who can't work it out from the actual law in the shaded boxes.

I can add to the Part P fiasco, as most of you know I am industrial/commercial but have been asked by a friend to wire his new extension, so I agreed but explained I was not part p( he had no idea what this is ) I told him that because building control was involved we would have to go through them for signing it off, and there reply was that if I was 17th edition and I could supply a 17th certificate they would be ok with that. so my question is why are you all paying your subs to the parasites??

But just to add to that, approved document p is a legal document which has to be abided by
No, it isn't.

It does contain TWO actual legal quotes, Part P itself and the Notification list (in the shaded boxes) but that's all.

The rest of it is someone's idea of what you should do (maybe correct) for those who can't work it out from the actual law in the shaded boxes.

The shaded boxes are legal quotes. The document as a whole requires to be adhered to, if not its illegal. Its a civil matter not criminal (don't mix the two up) the law is complex, I know because I study it as a hobby.
Its a legal document but you have no legal obligation (in writing) to adhere to it, but are lawfully required to adhere to it. (Legal and lawful have two separate meanings)
Ask any solicitor to verify any of the above.

so my question is why are you all paying your subs to the parasites??

Labc notification is average £200.
If you do fifty notifications per year that's £10,000 per year.
Scam annual fee £600? + 50 notifications at £2.50 each totals £725 per year.
See where I'm going?

I can add to the Part P fiasco, as most of you know I am industrial/commercial but have been asked by a friend to wire his new extension, so I agreed but explained I was not part p( he had no idea what this is ) I told him that because building control was involved we would have to go through them for signing it off, and there reply was that if I was 17th edition and I could supply a 17th certificate they would be ok with that. so my question is why are you all paying your subs to the parasites??

See where I'm going?

Can you see where I'm going, no charge, they are happy for me sign my own cert without part p membership????

And this is where Part P holds qualified and very experienced electricians to ransom

Yeah you can sign a cert but if its notafiable then it has to be notified.
And no one in the world has a part p membership.

So having produced a certificate for an installation why does it cost £2.50 for a scam member to notify or £300 for a non scam member to notify when the non scam member may be more qualified and experienced to produce the necessary certification for the installation

The industry is being screwed over by Part P ably assisted and bolstered by all those quick trained recruits who know no better who believe the be all and end all is scam membership and Part P

See where I'm going?
well heres where i`m going:

I am NIC approved contractor
this allows me to notify work though the NIC scheme.....but hold on a mo...

this does not mean i agree with Part P....or the schemes riding it..

the reason i went NIC approved contractor is that most insurance companies ask for it and councils request it to work in/on their property/s

and before anyone starts on about "well thats just for domestic".....WRONG!!

I'm not a scam member as I don't hold t+I quals at the mo. But aside from drastically reduced notifications, what do they offer?
-seriously reasonable answers chaps!
your really struggling here arn`t you...

not with the fact you dont hold any inspection & testing quals....but the fact that you seem to seriously believe that you actually NEED such a qualification...to join one of these rackets...

last time i looked i thought it was all about competency...

this is a concern to me:
the idea (put about by the rackets) that you need to have this ticket & that ticket to operate safely....when in reality its all about whether your competent...or not

mind you the rackets have their own little agenda`s ...dont they....such as NAPIT with its "NAPIT 2391"....a worthless bit of arse paper if ever there was one....

The shaded boxes are legal quotes.
That's what I said and there are only two in the whole document.

The document as a whole requires to be adhered to,
No, it doesn't.

Please read the preface and page i.
Note the number of times it says 'guidance'.

It is no more statutory than the On-Site GUIDE.

if not its illegal. Its a civil matter not criminal (don't mix the two up) the law is complex, I know because I study it as a hobby.
You now sound unsure. More studying required?
What is the legal meaning of 'guidance'?

Its a legal document but you have no legal obligation (in writing) to adhere to it, but are lawfully required to adhere to it. (Legal and lawful have two separate meanings)
Wtf does that mean?

Ask any solicitor to verify any of the above.
Why would I believe what they said?

You did say you hoped this thread would educate some people.

Reply to Part P in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net