Discuss Passive TV splitter inside back box? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

1Justin

-
Arms
Reaction score
OK, this should be easy for someone.
Firstly, let's assume a strong enough signal to take passive TV splitter at the bottom end of the cable from conventional aerial.

Is it reasonable then, to take an existing single TV outlet in a standard inset wall metal back box with front TV socket plate, and fit a passive splitter inside the box, so that a second cable could be passed out the back through the wall?

I'd be concerned bout mangling the co-ax because space would be very tight. I'd be happy to re-fit a deeper 50mm back box if that was required, but I suspect that may still be too tight.

Maybe there is a product which does this? (I'd envisage a TV plate with one coax in, one socket out to the front, one socket/co-ax out to the rear). If there is one, I've not come across it.

Such in and out plates are made but not often a good idea. Another option, hardly ideal, but an f type splitter could be put in a stud wall. If the wall is solid I would look at doing it another way, jamming loads of connections in the back of the box is just going to end with damaged cables and signal problems. A possible way is to fit a deep dual box one side to house connections the other the tv point, use an f splitter with all 3 the connections on one side. Removing the central divider from the box will allow plenty of space for wide cable bends.

Such in and out plates are made but not often a good idea. Another option, hardly ideal, but an f type splitter could be put in a stud wall. If the wall is solid I would look at doing it another way, jamming loads of connections in the back of the box is just going to end with damaged cables and signal problems. A possible way is to fit a deep dual box one side to house connections the other the tv point, use an f splitter with all 3 the connections on one side. Removing the central divider from the box will allow plenty of space for wide cable bends.
Thanks, good plan. I like the idea of using a dual box to make the space and avoid crushing the co-ax. Could work well :)

Reply to Passive TV splitter inside back box? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net