Discuss Pat test pass for items with USA plugs and cords in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Should the the items have passed the "PAT" test?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You test it whilst plugged into the adapter. It's like the testing I was doing the other day. I was busy unplugging every thing from the multi gang behind the tv and working out what went to where. Then the tenant said the last bloke just plugged the multi gang in to his tester and tested the lot in one go.

I would say its ok as long as a suitable coverter plug is used mind you the item on the picture looks like the flex does not have any outer sheath so I may not of passed it if that is the case

I'm not used to seeing single insulated cables like these used on anything beyond speakers (nowadays). Is figure 8 single insulated flex part of a cable standard approved for this use in U.K.? If not, wouldn't that be sufficient grounds to fail the inspection?

I'm not used to seeing single insulated cables like these used on anything beyond speakers (nowadays). Is figure 8 single insulated flex part of a cable standard approved for this use in U.K.? If not, wouldn't that be sufficient grounds to fail the inspection?

This is a good question.

They have both, high drain appliances are 220V+ e.g. AC. Different fitment plugs/socs though I think so yeah, what is that lead supplying?

220V is not on standard outlets in the USA
If brain recalls correctly, US 220V sockets are 3 pin, so I'm thinking this is a 110V plug and lead intended to be plugged into 110V socket and is attached to an appliance that tolerates 240V (or has an internal switch setting). None of which means it is an approved mains flex for UK or that the appliance is double insulated, but it could be both.

Surly would have to conform to British Standards. No fuse in plug. No Earth pin. NFPA 70 Standards - 120v Single phase - 240v - split phase mainly 15amp to 20amp outlets. Like another user has said definite use for 120v 10 amp applications. Dielectric tests?

In the spirit of the original post ... if I was shown this adapter and lead I would not approve it (regardless of how it tested) unless it had docs substantiating CE or BS approvals. If I tested it and it seemed ok and I approved it I fear I would be acting as an unregistered type approval agency. I'll just put my tin hat on and await incoming :)

Reply to Pat test pass for items with USA plugs and cords in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net