Discuss PAT testing help and advice in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jobo

Hi,

I was unfortunate to be selected by my company to carry out pat testing, and recently attended a pat testing course.

my company has a seaward primetest 50, and today was my first exciting pat job.

in about an hour and a bit managed to test around 30 items, desk fans, kettles, lamps etc. I left all of the IT
equipment as I'm not 100% sure how to go about it without causing any damage. I have tested several of the IEC leads of computers, but not the actual computers themselves.

from reading of the iet code of practise book my understanding is that I can only carry out an earth continuity test using my particular pat tester, is this correct? If I had a different tester then I could carry out a reduced 250v dc insulation resistance test or a soft test.

cheers

all IT gear, except for up to transformers, i just do visual. not worth rth the hassle of wiping out a hard drive by shoving 500V up it's orifice.

Last edited:
Hi,

I was unfortunate to be selected by my company to carry out pat testing, and recently attended a pat testing course.

my company has a seaward primetest 50, and today was my first exciting pat job.

in about an hour and a bit managed to test around 30 items, desk fans, kettles, lamps etc. I left all of the IT
equipment as I'm not 100% sure how to go about it without causing any damage. I have tested several of the IEC leads of computers, but not the actual computers themselves.

from reading of the iet code of practise book my understanding is that I can only carry out an earth continuity test using my particular pat tester, is this correct? If I had a different tester then I could carry out a reduced 250v dc insulation resistance test or a soft test.

cheers

i very, very much doubt that you have pat test the items properly, around 30 items in an hour - thats 2 minutes per item.
Especially as it is your first job....

It would take me more than two minutes to log the details, remove the plug, check it, put it back together, never mind carefully check the lead for damage, check the appliance for damage, pause for thought on usage/safety issues, check the socket, disconnection ability, hazards, never mind run the actual tests on the machine.

Have you had any training at all, or did the company through you in at the deep end?
I would be asking the company for proper training, and please go back and re-test ever item once you have had more training or experience - no way you can have done it properly - or safely.

Reply to PAT testing help and advice in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net