Discuss Pat Testing In A Rented Property - Which Appliances Need Testing? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Personally I think most PATester get the wrong idea, the person incharge, Office Manager, Duty Holder, Boss, Land Lord,someone who thinks they are the boss should/must have a list of equipment that requires testing, it's up to them to provide you, the tester, with an up to date register of equipment under their control.

Personally I think most PATester get the wrong idea, the person incharge, Office Manager, Duty Holder, Boss, Land Lord,someone who thinks they are the boss should/must have a list of equipment that requires testing, it's up to them to provide you, the tester, with an up to date register of equipment under their control.

I disagree, you are being hired as the competent/qualified person and should be telling them what needs testing! How does a office manager know what falls under the isitee requirements?!

Actually I agree with Pete. Surely it is the responsibility of the Duty Holder to know what they have and to ensure that it is maintained.

When asked to do PAT Testing (I'll use that term as it is the common one for the process) I always ask what they have. 9 times out of 10 they say do everything, but I try to point out that this is difficult to achieve especially as I couldn't possibly have any idea what should or should not be there as I likely have never been in the premises before!

On the 1 time out of 10 (or less) when they do actually have an asset register there are normally things missing (e.g. IEC leads to connect the equipment; extension leads; UPS etc.)

I disagree, you are being hired as the competent/qualified person and should be telling them what needs testing! How does a office manager know what falls under the isitee requirements?!
Why do you think they are appointed "duty holders" perhaps if you read the ISITEE instructions you will change your mind, the duty holder is given that particular responsibility to ensure items are tested at intervals, oh and by the way there is no requirement to enter date of next test on the label, that is down to the duty holder as well. The duty holder should have a register of equipment under His/Her control. HSE requires the duty holder to know what equipment they have, RTFM

Last edited:
Also you do not need any qualification to PATest just be competent to do the testing.

Well take it that far and you don't even need to do PAT testing. Its a recommendation. As is keeping records as is being trained.
There arte loads and loads of folks who just don't bother and as we all know the real world risks are very low and the chances of being prosecuted even lower.
Still its a nice little sub business if you don't mind the endless task day in day out.

Surely you should have an agreed list of what you are testing and if they don't put that together prior to testing you could do it for them at a cost followed by an agreed follow up date. Repeat custom.

Its all in the Should and Must. A bit like the highway code. There are things you MUST do and things you SHOULD do.
MUST is the LAW. SHOULD is best practice and helps avoid potential legal issues should things go wrong.
I think from my training everything under PAT testing is a SHOULD. There are no MUSTs until its decided its important enough to be mandatory and backed up by law only the responsible people will do it (and they generally don't have issues because they are responsible) the rest will just take a chance, save costs and undercut those being responsible.

By creating a situation where the responsible companies are incurring costs the less responsible aren't legally required to its not a level playing field.

I detest appliance testing but I do end up doing it as I look after a number of holiday rentals.
My approach is to explain to the customer how I understand the legislation or lack of it. Because of the lack of legislative guidance, in the event of an accident the authorities only have the landlords duty of care to his tenants to consider. If the landlord can demonstrate that he has followed all the advice and guidance given then what more could be asked of him / her?
The advice is to have the fixed wiring inspected and tested every five years. Appliances require testing as per a to be drawn up schedule based on the isitee 4th edition recommendations.
In the 'house folder' (which almost all holiday rentals have) there is a copy of the EICR, an equipment register for appliances (inc hard wired items) and schedules of test results.
This costs on average £160-£200 every 5 years for the EICR. £80 for the first year to draw up the equipment register, test everything and enter all the details, then roughly £50 per annum for repeat appliance testing (as details are already entered and not all items are scheduled for annual testing).
To reinforce the answers already given the OP, EVERYTHING gets tested even though doing so can be mind numbingly tedious. My only get out is refusing to just test appliances, I only do it as part of an overall package (EICR as well)

Mhar i think youve hit the nail on the head. Its good to hear from sparks out in the field, you obviously have a well set out plan where you and youre customer know where each other are at. So if a third party was to read that 'house folder' they could see what is covered in the EICR and what is covered in the appliance test??

Reply to Pat Testing In A Rented Property - Which Appliances Need Testing? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock