Discuss PAT testing of Handwash units Yes or No in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Having a few thoughts on what should and shouldn't come under PAT testing under the COP 4th Edition.

I have no doubt wall heaters screwed to the wall and connected via a flex and FCU should be PAT tested, along with hand dryers, but does the same apply to Handwash units and 5-10litre water heaters which are plumbed in to the water supply on fixed copper pipes, but also connected via a flex and FCU ??

Just want to get the facts straight before I approach the customer.

Long standing Sparky but new to PAT testing.

Yes of course they should be tested

yes it should be tested I've always done it under EICR not doing a lot of pat testing out of interest how do you do a PAT test for such items

but this is not PAT testing is it my question was more if I was sent to with a pat tester how do you pat test this type of equipment
Ant it's In Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment, the COP for ISITEE doesn't say how to test it just that it has to be tested, PATesting is old hat now, neither can you test as part of an EICR as strictly speaking it's not part of the fixed wiring. To add if I was quoting a price for someone who wanted their equipment tested, to to put it another "can you give me a price for PATesting my appliances" I would price items such as your example at a different rate, but then most customers wouldn't realise the difference, because most are unaware, or don't understand what is required. Sorry for the lecture.:rolleyes::) This why I feel the " you only need to competent to What was PATesting" needs, in my opinion, revisiting and upgrading.

Last edited:
but this is not PAT testing is it my question was more if I was sent to with a pat tester how do you pat test this type of equipment

A 'PAT tester' may not have the skills required.

Any spark has and would use a MFT or a traditional tester with a bastardised lead.

The point is they must be done, the code of practice is not just for appliances with plug tops.

EDIT, beat by Pete.

Reply to PAT testing of Handwash units Yes or No in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock