Discuss PAT testing of Handwash units Yes or No in the PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.co.uk.

1. LTS_SPARK

LTS_SPARK New EF Member

Having a few thoughts on what should and shouldn't come under PAT testing under the COP 4th Edition.

I have no doubt wall heaters screwed to the wall and connected via a flex and FCU should be PAT tested, along with hand dryers, but does the same apply to Handwash units and 5-10litre water heaters which are plumbed in to the water supply on fixed copper pipes, but also connected via a flex and FCU ??

Just want to get the facts straight before I approach the customer.

Long standing Sparky but new to PAT testing.

2. to hide this advert.
  3. Wilko

Wilko Gorillas are Great Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Appliance - computer says yes please :)

4. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Yes of course they should be tested

5. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    yes it should be tested I've always done it under EICR not doing a lot of pat testing out of interest how do you do a PAT test for such items

6. bigspark17

bigspark17 Electrician's Arms

Yes definatly should be tested.. use a mft.!

7. anthonybragg

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    but this is not PAT testing is it my question was more if I was sent to with a pat tester how do you pat test this type of equipment

8. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Ant it's In Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment, the COP for ISITEE doesn't say how to test it just that it has to be tested, PATesting is old hat now, neither can you test as part of an EICR as strictly speaking it's not part of the fixed wiring. To add if I was quoting a price for someone who wanted their equipment tested, to to put it another "can you give me a price for PATesting my appliances" I would price items such as your example at a different rate, but then most customers wouldn't realise the difference, because most are unaware, or don't understand what is required. Sorry for the lecture.:rolleyes::) This why I feel the " you only need to competent to What was PATesting" needs, in my opinion, revisiting and upgrading.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  9. LeeH

LeeH Insert witty monkey comment here. Electrician's Arms

A 'PAT tester' may not have the skills required.

Any spark has and would use a MFT or a traditional tester with a bastardised lead.

The point is they must be done, the code of practice is not just for appliances with plug tops.

EDIT, beat by Pete.

Pete999 likes this.
  10. anthonybragg

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    Thanks for the info

11. LTS_SPARK

LTS_SPARK New EF Member

Thanks for the replies and thoughts. Was just a little unsure as they're plumbed in so not so easy to move.

12. LeeH

LeeH Insert witty monkey comment here. Electrician's Arms

Safe isolation, remove from fcu, test.

Pete999 likes this.