Discuss periodic inspection report no access to the consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparky928

Hi Guys,

Got to do a periodic inspection report, there two consumer units one i cant access due to kitchen units in the way i can see the breakers but i wont be able to take the cover off and the other consumer is fine to get to.

Any Ideas what to do for the consumer unit i cant get to? or what to write on the report?

Thanks

All you can do is verify the circuits and give Zs and rcd readings if applicable. On the schedule of tests you can only complete the parts you know, the rest can only be NV. You can only do what you can and decide how you are going to Code it in the Report.

Discuss it with the customer because if they are doing it for a house sale that could become a real issue. Is there no way they can't make access to it.

I think so most stuff is picked up from the visual, but yes 50% of testing won't be done but that is out of his hands.

I would be tempted to C2 the inaccessible CU ...... that would depend on the estimated age of the installation, and whether there have been changes made!

hum..... so 50% of the installation not really in a position to test, is it worth doing?

And what code for inaccessible CU? C2?

Inaccessible cu not even able to open the cover, thats a C2 if there ever was!

I would instantly think C2 as well but then I thought what would I say if I was asked to justify that with regards to it being 'potentially dangerous'?
The CU and all circuits may be in excellent condition. Perhaps a 'limitation' with a strong recommendation it is made accessible for testing?
Or perhaps a C2 because it is potentially dangerous as electrical installations should be tested every 10 years and this one can not be?

He has no choice but to enter a Limitation, with a further recommendation access is enabled so a full inspection/test can be carried out.

I would instantly think C2 as well but then I thought what would I say if I was asked to justify that with regards to it being 'potentially dangerous'?
The CU and all circuits may be in excellent condition. Perhaps a 'limitation' with a strong recommendation it is made accessible for testing?
Or perhaps a C2 because it is potentially dangerous as electrical installations should be tested every 10 years and this one can not be?
It would also so be classed as a maintainable accessory, which means access is required for maintenances purposes, i.e checking connections etc..

You'd have to gain access to it to ascertain whether the CU has the MF stamp on the inside - after all it is inaccessible so needs to be maintenance free! (Where's the emoji for tongue in cheek!)

How on earth can you test the install if the cu is inaccessible? You cant even do basic testing or check terminal tightness, visual, polarity, main isolation. It isnt FI its a unstaisfacory, and if any sparks agreed in the lims not too take cover off cu then he needs reporting to his scheme imo. C2 no doubt!

Reply to periodic inspection report no access to the consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net