Discuss Permission to remove lop trees ? to have PV installed south face roof in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wiggly

Guys, Any one came across this problem, Two trees with preservation orders would the council Renfrewshire allow lopping of the trees on the basis of installing PV on a south face roof ?? ( currently trying to get an answer from the council no joy so far) Regards wiggly

I would be very surprised if you were allowed to for the sake of adding pv. TPO's usually = nightmare.

I agree , it should be a nightmare to cut trees back to make a few quid, I thought the whole idea was to preserve the environment, not destroy it.

It is possible, I had a customer that managed it.

It all depends on what type of tree it is for a start, and what benefit it could have to the tree if it were pruned.

However you may need to take a different approach rather than "it is shading my roof".
The tree that my customer had pollarded was a lime tree, and this had been done before many years ago though, and as it was on a public footpath we played the elf and safety card, saying that dead wood keeps dropping on the pavement and someone will get hurt, it was amazing how quick we got a reply allowing us to get the tree trimmed.

Sometimes you have to think outside the box....

Hi you might find you get a postive answer as it is widely recognised by tree preservation groups etc that cutting back the canopy of a tree by up to a third can promote its heallth and longetivity.

I was involved in a building project that required an established oak with a base trunk diameter of 5 feet plus to be cut back before work could start. The TP officer who visited the site promoted the concept of cutting back outlining the virtues of improved growth and general health.

Best of luck

Last edited:
found out that the mother-in-law had a preservation order when i wanted to prune her at the neck.

If the tree is an evergreen it can be classified as a hedge - with limits on its sized if someone is being troubled by it.
A continuous conifer (evergreen) line immediately adjacent to your Southern boundary can be legally enforced to be reduced in height to only about 2m. A single tree is allowed to be larger because it doesn't block as much light as a continuous hedge.

Oh - also, if you prune a neighbour's plant which is overhanging your boundary, you are supposed to offer them all of the prunings before you do anything else with them - and that includes picked fruit! It doesn't include what falls off naturally.

Sorry, FB, but these are trees with a TPO on them, as I understand anyway, so all that is irrelevant, but just to clarify, to actually get a hedge reduced by law is a very long winded procedure, why?? because it is done through the council, that's why, oh and it costs too...

guys, thanks for the replys, still awaiting a reply from council my honesty has got me a 10kw quote on the guys business so fingers crossed will get that in.wiggly

We have a large oak with TPO to the rear of us that stops the PV generating during winter months.

Good luck with trying to get the council to trim it as our council wont even trim the branches that overhang the gardens and will vigorously prosecute anyone who does.

Reply to Permission to remove lop trees ? to have PV installed south face roof in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net