Discuss Persistent wired in fire alarm problem?? :-) in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

rolyberkin

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have a rental property where I have wired in fire alarms fitted which the tenant states go off in the middle of the night.

I have replaced with good quality alarms and have taped the back of the cable exit hole with gaffa tape to prevent insects or dust getting in, they have been hoovered and have new good quality batteries fitted.

Does anyone have any ideas how to solve this problem, is there likely to be an underlying fault somewhere or has anyone have any ideas what could be causing the problem, the persistent fault seems to be in the downstairs hallway?

What make...? and importantly what type of detectors have been fitted..?

A Screwfix supplied Dicon 650MBX they don't seem to sell them anymore biut I think it was a photo electric cell unit. This is the second set in about four years!

I was toying with changing it to an Aico Ei2110, being called by the tenant is becoming a pain in the neck!

You can easily change to Aico using existing cables and interlink, wiring is exactly the same.
Optical smokes are recommended in hallways and circulation areas, to prevent false activations

Could also be the positioning of the detector. Any air con in the house? Open windows? near to a bathroom door?

It is next to a downstairs cloakroom door! and above a radiator? Apparently always happens in the middle of the night, she wouldn't have the heating on, I would image cloakroom door is shut but can check?

If you have replaced and its still going off, its pretty much got to be an environmental issue. May be worth speaking with the resident and see what they say if there is anything in particular no matter how odd going on at that time.

It is next to a downstairs cloakroom door! and above a radiator? Apparently always happens in the middle of the night, she wouldn't have the heating on, I would image cloakroom door is shut but can check?

If you have more than 1 detector, how can you be so sure it's the one downstairs unit setting them off?

Good Point Murdoch....can list all detector positions within the property, so we can get an idea of the environment

If the resident had any sense they would of checked which one was going off (depending on the brand of detectors) but going from experience, they don't ever lol
If you're using Aico detectors, may be worth installing a locator switch as a temp measure so they can see which one is going off.

Thanks for replies, I have replaced two detectors with the aico units mentioned, they appear to be a much better unit, no holes into loft space or ceiling void for inspects and dust to get down. Fingers crossed:)

Reply to Persistent wired in fire alarm problem?? :-) in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net