Discuss phone and tv in new builds in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J.C.E

-
Arms
Reaction score
evening guys

to the guys that do new builds blocks....

what do you usually do in regards to tv and phone points?

got drawings for a 4 storey block that house 7 units (4 flats and 3 duplexes) with common areas on each floor

Other people may do this differently, but this is what I do. All telephone points from each property to the main incoming BT duct on the ground floor, making sure correct spacings from power cables etc, for the TVs we usually run a shotgun twin coax to the agreed point with our sub contractor who fits the aerials, in the property we take the shotgun to the main TV point in the lounge, from that point we take a return wire to wherever it needs to go, either to a bedroom or a booster/splitter point. The main to point in the lounge will be a 47mm deep double box with a modular faceplate, one is a twin sat point, then the return, then a BT point. Male a point of checking if the setup you go for allows that BT point to be a master, because some I've seen only allow secondary points to be installed.

2tv 1phone in each unit.......7 units

I would run 5 sat cables like WF100 ( 2x Twin an 1 single) to dish position from mains/switch room or cupboard in communal area. At the dish position you would connect 4 to the Quattro LNB of the dish (dish has to be round not oval) and the 5th connected to the TV aerial which is situated on the same mast as the dish. At the other end these 5 are connected to the inputs of a multiswitch. From the multiswitch position run a twin WF100 out to each TV point position. In each property connect the twin WF100 to a quadplex plate, the quadplex plate will decombine the signals. Run a 4mm earth from communal board to multiswitch position...Obviously the multiswitch will need power as well.

As for the Telephone just run a cat5 to each property from the mains room/communal area and make sure the builder puts in a duct so BT can pull a multicore in..BT will then install what they need to and connect each property when requested. Blank plate the BT point off in the property so BT can install a master point when they get requested to connect by the occupier.

Make sure the ducting the builder installs is the proper grey BT ducting...Travis Perkins normally stock it.

Last edited:
Think all this will become superfluous soon. Sky Q mini boxes are wireless. All the other formats will follow suit. The way to go, unless you live in a castle :)

Yeah good wireless is the way to go eventually, but we're not quite there yet.

There always comes a point when someone moves the furniture and there's no sockets in the right place, or wants a phone somewhere else. A good router and possibly range extender can almost work miracles.

Daz

Even with sky Q you still need a twin sat to the master box and the others will communicate wirelessly off of that.
Yep, my point was you don't need twin sat cables going to all the other boxes, and just a small fee to Rupert Murdoch! Had it installed in my pad. The Sky engineer did say they have connection issues in some properties, where they have had to wire in extenders for the wireless signal.

It's the black plugs they put in the wall that really peeve me! I know it's for their ladders but.....come on!!

I actually offered to foot the ladder for the bloke who did the Sky install at my place , nice level surface and he didn't have to go very high. But apparently if a supervisor turned up he'd be in big trouble ! :rolleyes:

forgot to mention install 47mm boxes at quadplex plate positions.
cheers Lee
when it comes to ukpn bringing in the new supply- do they decide what supply based on the building and how many properties etc or do they need me to request?

Havn't done demand calcs yet- but ball park.......7flats (all led, 1x cooker, gas hob, central heating) + L/L lighting for 4 floors

likly to be a 125a TNP head? -so will not need CT equipment etc.

just head> 125a iso> r.b> meter> 60a iso> cu

cheers Lee
when it comes to ukpn bringing in the new supply- do they decide what supply based on the building and how many properties etc or do they need me to request?

Havn't done demand calcs yet- but ball park.......7flats (all led, 1x cooker, gas hob, central heating) + L/L lighting for 4 floors

likly to be a 125a TNP head? -so will not need CT equipment etc.

just head> 125a iso> r.b> meter> 60a iso> cu

Yeah sounds good to me .. You wouldn't need a CT chamber any way mate as the incomer wont be metered as the Ryefield will be sealed by the meter operator.

Off topic again but why, with the TiVo and sky q boxes, do you need to be able to record 4 or 5 channels and watch one at the same time? Has the world gone mad or are they doing it just because they can? There wouldn't be enough hours in the day to watch what you've recorded unless perhaps you . . don't. . . have. . a . . job!

I don't know if your unfortunate to be unemployed, theirs almost too much to watch; Jeremy Kyle, Storage Hunters, Cowboy Builders, Wright Stuff, This Morning, Judge Render, Countdown, Pointless, Tipping Point, Gone Dine with Me, then you've got the soaps and being topical the news channels and the weather, hard to pack that in 24 hours. Then spending pointless hours on social media and forums, Electriciansforums.co.uk :eek:

Reply to phone and tv in new builds in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net