Discuss PIR Codes - opinions please in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

Octopus

All

Started on a rather large PIR this afternoon and have noticed the following so for:

1. Smoke alarm positioned over stairs
2. Some downlights completely covered in loft insulation
3. 13A socket in loft on lighting circuit

Was thinking about coding them 4, 2, 2

Your thoughts?

seconded.

13 amp socket on lighting circuit would be a code 4 from me, wouldn't be considered potentially dangerous as it'd trip out at 6 amps. Was possibly installed for a tv amp at a guess.

13 amp socket on lighting circuit would be a code 4 from me, wouldn't be considered potentially dangerous as it'd trip out at 6 amps. Was possibly installed for a tv amp at a guess.

This was the one I was really pondering over. Yes its for a TV aerial amp

Socket on lighting cuircuit not even a Code 4 - doesn't break any rules. Could cause MCB to trip if he plugs his hair dryer in, but thats not dangerous.

Smoke detector over the stairs, only an issue if its difficult to change the battery, if its got a battery that is.

Last edited:
Ok, the last fault I found was a break in the CPC ring for the kitchen/breakfast room.

Today I found some time to go back and see if I could find it and I can "tell" that the CPC is not continuous between 2 sockets. Code 2 IMHO

FYI at the "furthest" socket before the break the EFLI and RCD values are OK

So how should I fix it without ripping open the walls and ceiling? I could go back out of the box, and run 2.5 T&E in conduit down the side of the house, in through the garage and down the back wall of the garage to the rear of the 2nd socket.

Anyone got any brighter ideas?

I'm off on hols this Saturday for a well earned break and want to put a suggestion to the owner before I go!

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Split ring into 2 x 20A radials, making sure you disconnect all the ends of the branch where the CPC has broken. Would also pay to label in the box why you have done this.

Thought about this but radial would be the fridge and 1 double socket, and the other would be, the micowave, the kettle, the toaster, the dishwasher, the wine cooler .......

Hence why my plan is to rerun a cable to reinstate the ring.

Nice thought though!

Reply to PIR Codes - opinions please in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock