Discuss PIR Coding to BS7671 only in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

semaphore

Hi Guys

I have recently been hauled over the coals for coding items that are not in BS7671
e.g. No lighting in an Intake Room, Asbestos in Switchgear, etc
The customer says its not a reg (I agree) but I coded it a 2 as it needs lighting and is against the EAWR1989
They say I should only provide a code if I can find a BS7671 reg to back it up.
Things like finding Asbestos, etc should simply be noted but not coded.
I sort of agree with their logic but I am concerned that if I don't code something a 1 or 2 it wont get
picked up and may get overlooked as not an urgent item

What are your views on this?

Yep you are only meant to code things that directly contravene BS7671.... have a look at the guide on the safety council's website. What I do is have an extra sheet for other tings to be noted, kind of like the advisory sheet you get with an MOT.

Whilst I agree that there are some things that need to be done, If it's not in the regs I would not code it. I would however create an aditional page/notice/letter to advise the person that ordered the work that there are other issues.

My pet hate is finding a "switch room" crammed to the rafters with rubbish. It gets recorded as it's impeeding access to switch gear, you go back for remedials it's all gone, five minutes later it rammed again!

unfortunately the majority of people have not yet grasped the importance of such things, adequate lighting? what for it's only a cupboard with a fuse box in it? and as long as insurance companies only require code one and two to have action taken i can't see many more getting the grasp of the safety aspect!:(

Thanks guys, I will do it the same and just add a sheet with items that fail to comply with other regulations as you suggest

Dave
No lighting in an intake or switchroom breaks EAWR1989

Working space, access and lighting
15. For the purposes of enabling injury to be prevented, adequate working space, adequate means of access, and adequate lighting shall be provided at all electrical equipment on which or near which work is being done in circumstances which may give rise to danger.

I was taught that as the EAWR are statutory they exceed the requirements of BS7671 which is non-statutory.

Sorry Dave for the mis-understanding:(

I have an install where CB2 and BD4 conditions apply.
The FA doesn't work at all and most of the E/Lights failed their test and doesn't comply with 5266 anyway.
There are holes through floors and there is no Fire Stopping and there is no information available about the systems. As I see it, the following regs apply
560.7.9 to 12
How would others code it?
I think Code 2

you could note the items not covered by the regs on an optional observation sheet and head it Health and saftey or similar as for a room filled with crud that comes under the regs regarding accessability That and the marking up of dbs are my personal pet hates

Whilst items may not be in the regs there is a sheet titled Observations and Recommendations so if something has been observed like there is asbestos in the board it must be brought to the attention of the client that a hazardous health issue has been found and may require attention sooner than later.

Another could be access to the DB maybe restricted and this also must be brought to the attention of the client

Last edited:
Just a thought How do you know there is asbestos in the board Hope you didnt disturb it with out the appropriate precautions

Isnt asbestos notifiable in that they must have a register on the premisis??

Isnt asbestos notifiable in that they must have a register on the premisis??

The first thing I ask to see if I carry out a PIR on a premesis I've never been to before. It's as much for the clients safety as mine. If I suspect asbestos and they dont have a register, no PIR.....simples.:)

HSE would come down on you like a ton of bricks should something happen.

Reply to PIR Coding to BS7671 only in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net