• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss PIR security light playing "silly Bu**ers. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have a security light which has a built in PIR sensor. I installed this app 18 months ago to replace one that started to activate for no apparent reason. Well the same thing is happening again. The light is coming on at various times during darkness. last night was no different, there was no-one about, the air was as still as could be, yet it would randomly light up. Standing to one side to see what was happening, it would light up with nothing to activate the PIR ie bird, bat, moth, human! nothing, zilch. If I change this one I reckon the same would occur inside such a short length of time. A few weeks ago we had high winds that had the shrubbery etc waving about, but this didn't affect the light?
HTH

I was going to ask about unwanted tenants within the light :) Mum and Dad have had the occasional false alarm due to spiders getting into their burglar alarm PIRs.

Is it properly sealed? Could be water ingress.

Thanks for the replies. Replaced like for like with a bog std B&Q light. I'd considered this with bugs etc, but as I recall, I'd tried to eliminate this theory on the last one, but couldn't release the opaque cover over the passive without damaging it.
Just had another look at this one, again there's noway I can see that the passive cover will come off & if it is a "visitor" gawd knows how it's got in, as there's no break in the seals etc. Everything it tight shut.

Last edited:
Either buy a top-end light with PIR or, my preference, fit a light and separate good quality PIR. I use these:
Spectra - 200° PIR Sensor 1kW Load - Black - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SS6016.html

Probably more expensive than your previous light, but I've fitted dozens and never had a problem. Also has a wide sensor angle, which may be an improvement, depending on location.

ps, Separate PIR also allows independent vertical adjustment of light and PIR, which some combined units won't do.

Sorted. Bought a stand alone PIR, but didn't want to have to site it away from the lamp, which would have been the easier option. So I removed the problem PIR & fashioned the replacement one onto the lamp. Quite happy with that& can't tell it's an add-on. So having now got the old passive on the bench, I start to delve. Guess what I found, a tiny ginger spider merrily wandering around the 2 boards. I was gobsmacked as I'd already said to SWMBO it could just be a spider, but I couldn't see how one could get inside. But having delved, it simply wandered down the cable & through the grommet. I took particular pleasure in dispatching it. Also with this PIR I've been able to set it up in daylight mode. Don't think I could do with the old one, not sure though.

I have a security light which has a built in PIR sensor. I installed this app 18 months ago to replace one that started to activate for no apparent reason. Well the same thing is happening again. The light is coming on at various times during darkness. last night was no different, there was no-one about, the air was as still as could be, yet it would randomly light up. Standing to one side to see what was happening, it would light up with nothing to activate the PIR ie bird, bat, moth, human! nothing, zilch. If I change this one I reckon the same would occur inside such a short length of time. A few weeks ago we had high winds that had the shrubbery etc waving about, but this didn't affect the light?
HTH

Did you have any clothes left on the line overnight ?, clothes are a pain for setting off PIR's.

we're even posher. we have one of them new-fangled tumble dryers. great fun if the cat gets in it.

:eek:Oooh for a Yorkshireman that wasn't a very good joke, But as it's Friday we'll overlook it.
Just this once though, don't you start taking liberties :p:D

Last edited by a moderator:
:eek:Oooh for a Yorkshireman that wasn't a very good joke, But as it's Friday we'll overlook it.
Just this once though, don't you start taking liberties :p:D
well iot was you that misspelt crap.

Reply to PIR security light playing "silly Bu**ers. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back