Discuss PIR with long(ish) range? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hello all..

The customer wants his garden light to switch on the moment he walks into the garden, the sensor is around 12 meters away and it doesn't switch the light until he is half way up the garden. There is nowhere nearer I can locate the PIR.

I realise screwfix/toolstation have PIR's which state 12m but I know that they only work up to around 7-8m.

Does anyone know for sure which PIR's would be good for longer distances? I've found these External Security Lighting Products for Home

they look ok (very narrow spread though - 10degrees) but was hoping for some first hand experience from you chaps?

Thanks.

Usually if a PIR is sensitive to detect motion 12 m away then it's going to be too sensitive and false triggering will be a big problem.

You say there's nowhere closer to mount one but surely you could install a wooden post or even use the broken beam type sensors PIR with long(ish) range? default - EletriciansForums.net

I once fitted some microwave type PIR's that were designed for long corridors, not sure if they make Outdoor type though.

for range, a narrow beam sensor will give more. typically about 25m against the 12m of a wide beam.

Thanks all, you've given me a few sites to look at, cheers :)

OK chaps, I'd like to add to HHD's request.

I'm after an outdoor PIR or microwave sensor, 230V, not requiring a separate interface box, with a range of over 20m.

It's to control maybe 50 or 100W of LED floodlighting on the side of a church, and needs to spot someone walking up the path across the churchyard, so narrow beam angle will do fine.

Any thoughts (with a link if possible)?

Thanks

OK chaps, I'd like to add to HHD's request.

I'm after an outdoor PIR or microwave sensor, 230V, not requiring a separate interface box, with a range of over 20m.

It's to control maybe 50 or 100W of LED floodlighting on the side of a church, and needs to spot someone walking up the path across the churchyard, so narrow beam angle will do fine.

Any thoughts (with a link if possible)?

Thanks
Look at the links already posted

As far as I can tell, the only links so far are to ELV sensors which require a separate control unit to actually do the switching. Surely there must be simple 230V AC stand-alone sensors that will do narrow angle, long range?

Hi Handy,

The steinel one mentioned states up to 14m and as its classed as good quality it may perhaps live up to this claim. The previous link I supplied did link to a 12v, however this link shows the 240v PIR long range.. expensive though and I cant find any reviews on it to make sure its ok, up to 35m's though!!

1800LR

Hi Handy,

The steinel one mentioned states up to 14m and as its classed as good quality it may perhaps live up to this claim. The previous link I supplied did link to a 12v, however this link shows the 240v PIR long range.. expensive though and I cant find any reviews on it to make sure its ok, up to 35m's though!!

1800LR

Yes, I guess that one fits the bill (if reliable), although it does look a bit 'cobbled together'. Not the neatest thing I've screwed to a wall!

Good to close out a thread with a proper ending!

I bought the steinel IS140 and was very happy with it. Loads of room for the cable(s). Can have it flush against the wall or slightly off if needed, if cables need to get behind. The main point being it picked up my movement from 13m's away, so I was happy and the customer was happy! :D

Reply to PIR with long(ish) range? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock