Discuss Plastic versas Metal CU's - your chance to vote in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

All manufacturers' CUs meet this BS. However, Amd 3 calls for all CUs installed in domestic premises to meet BS61349-3 AND be made of non-combustible material.

Thanks ... correct, but you missed the important corollary ... I strongly suspect that the vast majority of CUs, if not all, achieve compliance with BS61349-3 by being self-extinguishing within 30 secs of removal of the 960 deg C glow wire. They cannot therefore claim to be incombustible!

Thanks ... correct, but you missed the important corollary ... I strongly suspect that the vast majority of CUs, if not all, achieve compliance with BS61349-3 by being self-extinguishing within 30 secs of removal of the 960 deg C glow wire. They cannot therefore claim to be incombustible!

Whilst I totally understand this point, self-extinguishing and non-combustible have subtly different meanings. More pertinently, this is all semantics. In real terms the only option we have at the moment is a metal CU, or a metal/masonry enclosure around said CU.

The terms used and the way this has been done is wrong, I know - in fact, we all know. However, realistically the intention of this reg has been clear from day one, and I think it's about time we just accepted that it's happening and make the best of it.

It was mentioned to me that the next version of the Regs will give guidance on where these non combustible super metal boards should be stuck in a house. It was said that they will have to be sited by exit doors so homeowners can watch them smoldering and catching fire.

I do do wonder sometimes if these electrical organisations deliberately suggest a woolly and vague Reg amendment so it can then be thrashed out on various forums and then they can then make future Reg changes.

As 'official' comment has been made about connections not being tightened and thus the cause of these CU fires it would be nuts if the industry doesn't go back to twin screw terminals.

This 2 screw terminal business....agree. Problems occurred because of change over to mcb's, which only have the one terminal screw, a different type altogether.

'Oh, well we might as well make N and E a row of single screw terms on a sliver of brass ' save a chunk on production cost.....and who even mentioned it at the time?

This 2 screw terminal business....agree. Problems occurred because of change over to mcb's, which only have the one terminal screw, a different type altogether.

'Oh, well we might as well make N and E a row of single screw terms on a sliver of brass ' save a chunk on production cost.....and who even mentioned it at the time?

Yep. Double terminal screws and fixed busbars would sort the issue much better than metal CUs IMO.

I'm still awaiting a response from Keith Smith at BEAMA to the following email I sent him:

"Keith

I appreciate your candid response and openness.

The quality of fuseboards has progressively dropped over the last 20 years and now they are so flimsy, and I'm not just referring to the, completely flimsy cases, it's the quality of the main switches, the mounting bars, the MCB's the RCBO's - this is what needs fixing.

Introduce a requirement for main switches to have 2 screws per terminal would be a step in the right direction and that coupled with improving the "strength" of the busbar for the MCB's and RCBO's would be good too.

My point remains that you can improve the case BUT ignoring the internal components and in some cases dangerous workmanship is not dealing with the problem."

I still believe the main problem is sparks in a rush getting the busbar in behind the screw, rather than it not being tightened properly, hence fixed busbars being better.

Not the point I'm making.....it's all in the 'industry' of making money. Who the hell worth his salt needs to apply torque settings to correctly connect a terminal. One thing leads to another and it's not 'the blind leading the blind'....it's those with their eyes wide open.

the main problem, IMO, is the fact that main switches and RCDs will only accomodate a very short length od conductor in the terminal. anything over 1/4" leaves copper showing. having 2 screws and at least 1/2" of copper in the terminal will cure 75% of the problem.

Reply to Plastic versas Metal CU's - your chance to vote in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net