Discuss Please help - I feel like I'm being ripped off in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hyxr

Hi everyone,

First off, sorry if this is the wrong section - I'm not sure where to post it.

I recently had my wall plug charger explode, and now the wall plug is damaged and my landlord wants me to pay £200 for electrical testing - he wants to test the whole apartment complex because of this explosion & I think that's ridiculous. It was a cheap Chinese charger, so I guess I deserved the explosion, but is testing really necessary when the cause is the charger and not the actual electricity?

EDIT; How much should I expect to pay for tests? & I would appreciate as many replies as possible so I can show these, thanks!

Please give detailed and thorough answers.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not usually your responsibility to ensure that the electrical installation is in a satisfactory condition if you are the tenant. I would imagine that there is a clause for damage to the property caused by yourself. This would mean you would most likely be responsible for a replacement socket outlet, which might have been damage by the faulty plug in charger. As Tel said just a inspect and test of the socket and circuit would suffice.

I completely agree with the guys about the level of testing required. Nothing more than that one circuit.

To give you an indication of pricing, I'd be no where near £200 to change the faceplate and test the circuit... nowhere near, so I think Daz may have a point.

Sparksburnout will be here soon with a derogatory comment about landlords. He must be asleep.
Daz
No mate he is on a 3 month Ban, he's back in June.

Just a guess,but he may be "cross",because he found out himself...

Wearing my landlords hat,for a minute,i always find electrical work can be very expensive,when you find a wall mounted television in the lounge,powered by that flex, going through the wall,and into the socket outlet in the dining room,baby pictures blue-tacked both sides,to hide the Hatton Garden escape hole...:(

You could just offer to get your own electrician in to check it out, then just foot the bill for that. At least that way you are only paying for the inspection or damage that you have caused?

As a landlord I would not allow another electrician to repair my property, however I would probably just tell my tenant she was a dozy bint and replace it free of charge, I think to offer to replace the plug top and have the circuit tested is reasonable, £200 to do is not, do you have a letting agent. Reminds me of when my tenant decided to heat the atmosphere while having a bbq by plugging two electric heaters into a single extension lead, she said the socket outside smells of fish!:)

I think I would be saying I want the landlord to pay for a new charger as his socket blew it up and he should make sure the installation is safe! How do you know the charger blew and not the socket was/is dangerous.

I think I would be saying I want the landlord to pay for a new charger as his socket blew it up and he should make sure the installation is safe! How do you know the charger blew and not the socket was/is dangerous.
The OP did admit that it was one of those cheap Chinese import pieces of c..p.

Though I like the angle ;)

Well the OP is assuming from a point of no knowledge, culpability. There could have been a power surge and so on. Anyway I do take your point, but not so inclined to jump to the apparently obvious conclusion @David M.

Reply to Please help - I feel like I'm being ripped off in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net