Discuss Plug-in Solar Power Stations in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jimmydubs

Hi there.

Interested to know what anyone thinks about these plug-in solar power stations which are coming onto the market. These things are wired (via a Switched Fused Connection Unit) into the mains power supply. This system dispenses with the feed-in tariff and can apparently be installed by a competent DIYer totally legally. They certainly seem like very good value: £2429 for a 2 kW system is way lower than an MSC certified FIT-based system.

So are they safe?

Jimmy

Interesting line in the comprehensive installation instructions;

As an additional precaution, wear rubber soled shoes.
This will pr
ovide a measure of insulation
between you and the ground!

This needs to be professionally installed by an MCS accredited installer to qualify for Feed In Tariif and export tariff. To qualify for feed in tariff, needs to be MCS certified panels. If ground mount may need planning permission. Even if you do not wish to qualify for FIT, you may wish to work out the payback period on this equipment. Also check the provenance of the micro-inverters.

In relation to this ground mount equipment, also check out the guidance given in the new IET Code of Practice for Grid Connected Photovoltaic Systems. You can purchase a copy for £69.00.

PV is not a DIY activity. Electrical installation is not a DIY activity. Ask the insurer of your property if you are in any doubt about this.

Get some advice from a professional installer on a professional installation, and stay safe.

So are they safe?

The short answer is no.

The long answer is a lot more complicated.

Doing it yourself is as safe as you installing a log burner yourself.

Without the necessary qualifications you put both your and your families lives at risk.

To install solar panels (as with the wood burner) you MUST notify building regulations and the DNO, without the proper qualifications, both can
a) Tell you to disconnect it
b) Tell you to remove it
and
c) if you don't they can take you to court and prosecute you.

There are extensive regulation as to how these can be connected and the website you point to is telling you to break loads of them.

Did you read this weeks news about the gassafe registered installer - prosecuted for manslaughter for killing his partner and her child by carbon monoxide poisoning?

Do it yourself, break loads of regulations, be unable to sell your house, put your family's lives at risk and you could easily electrocute them and face the same future.

This is one of the many downsides of cutting the Fit to nothing. Kits like this will appear, unqualified people will fit them and the DNO''s won't have a clue they exist. Connecting this system to some knackered old wiring within a house on a fused spur on the ring main has got fire hazzard written all over it.

I only hope that a requirement for grid connected PV to only be fitted by an MCS approved company is introduced soon.

This is one of the many downsides of cutting the Fit to nothing. Kits like this will appear, unqualified people will fit them and the DNO''s won't have a clue they exist. Connecting this system to some knackered old wiring within a house on a fused spur on the ring main has got fire hazzard written all over it.

Agree

I only hope that a requirement for grid connected PV to only be fitted by an MCS approved company is introduced soon.

Long term MCS not necessary (it's prescriptive, restrictive and paperwork heavy), can easily be done properly under a CP scheme.

So current CP scheme providers, which of course you have to be registered with anyway can manage the assessments annually same as they do for electrical work, gassafe work, etc, no reason they shouldn't be trusted to assess for renewable generation and heat. (Why do i need separate MCS for wind, solar, hydro or chp ...)

Last edited:

Yes I have to say I'm mildly astonished that they are allowed to sell this as a DIY solution given the comments on here. Here's a quote from their FAQs:
"Can I Simply Wire My Plug In Solar Kit Into The Mains Circuit? Is It That Simple?
YES! Plug In Solar can simply be wired into the Solar Spur that is provided with the kit. Under Part P building regulations (sections 2.7 and 2.8), the addition of a fused Spur is classed as non-notifiable work (apart from in Kitchens and Bathrooms), meaning it can be undertaken by a competent person, who does NOT have to be a qualified electrician. However all work must comply with the IET Wiring and Safety Regulations, and if you are unsure please consult a professional”

Sounds like there's a huge fire risk so, as I say, mildly astonished!

Agree

Long term MCS not necessary (it's prescriptive, restrictive and paperwork heavy), can easily be done properly under a CP scheme.

So current CP scheme providers, which of course you have to be registered with anyway can manage the assessments annually same as they do for electrical work, gassafe work, etc, no reason they shouldn't be trusted to assess for renewable generation and heat. (Why do i need separate MCS for wind, solar, hydro or chp ...)

Fair enough, under a CP scheme then. Just something to make it illegal for any idiot to wire in a small powerstation to a house!

Fair enough, under a CP scheme then. Just something to make it illegal for any idiot to wire in a small power station to a house!

Lots of things are illegal.
It still doesn't stop people.

The only way would be to prevent the sale of the items to non qualified people in the first place,
But that won't happen.

Anyone can buy C.U's and other electrical items and gas appliances and fittings and car parts etc.
The list is endless of circumstances where non qualified people shouldn't be allowed parts to carry out work.

Reply to Plug-in Solar Power Stations in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net