Discuss Plug Socket Seals in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

ctomlinson109

I've been lookinng online to little avail trying to find a seal for a 2 gang plug socket.

We have a cat, who at the moment is spraying, and she keeps doing it above one of the plug sockets. Which then runs down the wall and often shorts the socket.

I've had to replace the socket a few times now and the cat really isn't getting the idea that it shouldn't being doing it.

But anyway, while I try to get the cat to behave, I wanted to know if there is some sort of rubber seal you can put around a socket. The socket is on a tiled wall right on a grout line, so just tightening the screws still leaves a gap where the grout is.

So is there such a thing? I don't know if I'm just using the worng wording or if it just doesn't exist outside of actual outside plug sockets.

Thanks!
Calum

or a 12-bore.

get a decent dog and the cat will be history. does dog pee short out sockets?

Attachments

• cat.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 18
I would tend to just use sealant across the top of the socket.
However you could also use closed cell self adhesive foam tape, this will be waterproof once compressed.
Alternatively you could fit a plastic strip inside the socket so that "water" drips down beyond the terminals, so long as the cores to the terminals point down from the terminals this may be a temporary solution, but not recommended for long term use as the box will be constantly wet at the bottom.

With any problem I'd favour treating the cause rather than the symptoms. Have you had your cat at the Vet? Maybe it's diabetic. There's no surefire way to stop pee getting into the socket so rather focus on fixing the cat.

I go with Marvo on this, the cat is probably stressed. One of our cats was doing this and it turned out to be another cat coming in the house and our cat was marking her territory, so I fitted a magnetic cat flap. The peeing eventually stopped after a week of so. Other than that take it to the vet and try and get some cat valium.

Reply to Plug Socket Seals in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net