Discuss Plugging transformer into extension adapter. Is it safe? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello. I'm here for some advice.

I'm very tight on sockets and i'm wondering if a transformer, this one to be exact: (Biorb Transformer - http://www.completeaquatics.co.uk/biorb-transformer?gclid=Cj0KCQjwn6DMBRC0ARIsAHZtCePVGfCIB3EkqjrYEfgm5VK9dCaa5G7GJ9TSZXw72fzEZtV_0XbqUIsaAkPbEALw_wcB
would be safe to plug into a 3 socket adapter like this one Redirect Notice - https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjXqpDz48XVAhUHL1AKHWclBL0QjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.kenable.co.uk%2Fproduct_info.php%3Fproducts_id%3D3188&psig=AFQjCNFMxlwHR3J4go6GPhb8eLIKuAh3lw&ust=1502217892565250

The transformer powers a led light that I use for my biorb fish tank. It doesn't have anything else plugged into it. I need the light but I don't have plug space to give a light its own wall socket. The transformer is very heavy but i'm told low wattage. I contacted biorb to ask and they told me to ask an electrian to be sure.

If it's not suitable to use can anyone recommend an alternative plug that could be housed in a socket adpater. The biorb light has a funny 2 pin wire, kinda looks like a din that you'd normally see with stereos. The only plug i've seen available that would power it are the bulky biorb transformers which I hate.

Thanks for any advice.

why not get a local electrician to fit you an additional double wall socket next to the existing. won't cost a lot.

I would not recommend the hanging from a socket multi way adaptors as they can put a heavy weight on the socket it is not designed for, but they are readily available.
A multiway adaptor on a lead so the weight is not on the socket directly might be better.
The 2 pin DIN connectors are occasionally used on proprietary power supplies but replacements are not easy to get.

It's better to do it properly, but if you can't then you should be ok to do as you propose.

ButI agree that a multi adaptor with a plug on a flying lead is better than the one in your link.

If it sits firmly in the socket/adapter,
And does not place undue weight/stress on it
Then there is no reason why it would be unsafe.
We cannot judge from afar how it sits in the socket/adapter.
that's your call !

Reply to Plugging transformer into extension adapter. Is it safe? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net