Discuss Polarity of LED 12V MR16 downlighters in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Speedy38

Hi all
Was asked to fit two transformers for shop window display.
there was 8 12V down lighters in total split into two circuits and both switched through a timer,
The owner wants to replace the 8,12V dichroic MR16 bulbs with 12V MR16 LED 1.8w bulbs.
The reason he wants to replace the dichroic bulbs is due to the running cost also maintenance in replacing the transformers several times inthe past,

All fine with me however when fitting the new transformers ,one feeding 5 lights the other feeding 3 lights. due to window arrangement.
I was in the process of wiring the lights in parallel from the transformers & recalled the instructions that the polarity must be correct at the bulb, also that the bulb should have a ( + & - ) stamped on it showing its polarity.

Now I have the Polarity correct on the Trafo's and on the lamp connection point.
My problem/question is this.

The bulbs do not have the +\- stamped on them.
So what if any will be result of pushing the bulbs into the holders not knowing its polarity.
Secondly is there any way of testing the polarity of an LED bulb to ascertain its polarity.

I do not have much experience with LED bulbs hence my question.
any advice would be welcome.

Cheers.

transformers do not have polarity, they produce AC, only if you rectify their output with some diodes and capacitors you will get DC and + and -.
LED drivers do have polarity and should be used with 12v led strips, not mr16 lamps.

LED is a diode
A diode only allows current to flow in one direction
In the other direction it blocks flow.

So if you connect it up wrong it just won't light up, that's all.

Tank you snowhead just wanted to make sure I wouldn't cause a bulb to blow or a malfunction of the driver/trafo i did know what the LED stands for but haven't worked with them before I wasn't sure what effect wrong polarity would have on the fittings given the warnings on the driver/trafo.
Thanks again

led mr16 lamp will have some circuit inside, possibly rectifying ac to dc, for sure current limiting resistors for LED`s .
mr16 standard is for AC current, it does not have specitified polarity.
mr16 fed with a TRANSFORMER will have AC on its output.
led driver should be used with a suitable led light, not generic mr16 fittings, please post details of your transformer/driver please...

Hi amlu
Cheers for that I will be down at the shop tomorrow & I will get the details on the Drive/Trafo and post it up for you to view then.
going on your info it might be that the shop owner has been supplied with the wrong bulbs.
for the drivers/trafos supplied.

Thanks for your input I do appreciate it.

Nice to see a genuine question appropriate to the OP's experience and hopefully he is now a little wiser.... makes a change from some of the shocking questions asked by so called experienced competent electricians.

Hi all and thank you for taking the time to educate me on the LED aspect of things.
I was at the shop today and fitted the Drivers to the two circuits all running fine and no trouble.
I was just concerned that not having any experience in this realm that I might blow something electronic in the Driver or the bulb by inserting the bulbs the wrong way round +- in the lamp holders as recommended by supplier & ending up costing me money.
Turns out the Driver/Trao's were correct and at 1.8w per bulb each Driver rated at 16w I could put 5 on one circuit and 3 on the other.
I know it's uneven but as that is the way they are wired due to a doorway at shop front.
As promised here is a link to the type of Driver/Trafo supplied.

AU-LED16T 16W 12V DC Constant Voltage LED Driver AU-LED16T 16W voltage led driver [AU-LED16T] - £7.90 : Trade Electrical

Thank you all for your help and allaying my fears.

Regards.

Reply to Polarity of LED 12V MR16 downlighters in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock