Discuss `pond flex` or `arctic` cable for flex connection to outside halogen lights ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

"Hello again Guitarist",

Thanks for replying again.

What I wrote was exactly what happened - I wrote the brief reply to johnuk and then immediately started writing My reply to You - then I could not Submit it - Lost it - and had to Retype the message - as I only Type with ONE Finger this all took plenty of time.

I can completely understand why it would look as if I was NOT Grateful for Your message to Me when a reply to You did not materialise soon after My response to johnuk - and it was exactly because of this that I wanted to add an explanation to My message.

This Losing messages has happened a few times to Me on here previously - I will have to revert to carrying out `Copy & Paste` of My messages BEFORE I Submit the Posts - so that I do NOT Lose them.

Thanks for confirming that I could use `Ordinary` Black Flex - but as I would have to go to the same Electrical Goods Supplier to get Cut Length of that I might as well get the Blue 1.5mm [1mm not available] 3 Core Arctic cable.

I had originally thought that IF I had stated that I was going to use `Ordinary / Standard Flex` I would be `Verbally Chastised` on here - with some statements such as: `You MUST use UV Resistant Cable` !

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Chris

I've lost quite a few, also. Pain in the backside. Automatically logged out, half the message lost.

I've lost quite a few, also. Pain in the backside. Automatically logged out, half the message lost.

I MUST do the Copy & Paste process each time from now on - Most of My messages take Me a long time to Type using one finger - it is a REAL `Wind Up` when I lose what I have typed.

Regards,

Chris

I MUST do the Copy & Paste process each time from now on - Most of My messages take Me a long time to Type using one finger - it is a REAL `Wind Up` when I lose what I have typed.

Regards,

Chris

It should be auto saving but for some reason it auto logs out after a certain time.

I sometimes leave the post and return to 'forum' after a while. Then go back to the message and press the 'restore auto saved content' so that not too much is lost.

No problem using non-UV resistant cable here in Guernsey. We last saw the sun in early 2002 for half an hour - its been raining ever since. :( I've seen some pictures of it and it looks quite nice.

No problem using non-UV resistant cable here in Guernsey. We last saw the sun in early 2002 for half an hour - its been raining ever since. :( I've seen some pictures of it and it looks quite nice.

"Hello Stroppy",

The Channel Islands are advertised on TV as `The Sunniest place in the British Isles` ! - regarding Tourism.

Regards,

Chris

flew over guernsey last year. the sun was dazzling. that was above the black clouds, though. you need to build higher. we were at 15,000 ft.

Noooo, we are lucky to only have one tower block in Guernsey, and that is only 10 storeys high, although I am thinking about a massive sun tube out of my roof to get some sun in!

`pond flex` or `arctic` cable for flex connection to outside halogen lights ? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Never come across such a polite and diligent poster as this "Chris Murphy".... if that is your real name.

Astounding attention to detail. What a well mannered chap. Absolutely no sarcasm involved.

"Hello All",
I obviously want to use a `Weather / UV Resistant` Flex / Cable.

IF `Arctic` Cable [3183Y]
is both UV / Weather and Cold Temperature resistant this would be ideal for Me as I can purchase Cut lengths of 1.5mm 3 Core for about £1.10 per Metre - I would only need 3 Metres - approx 800mm for each Light including some `slack`.

Before seeing the Arctic Cable I saw `Weather Resistant Rubber Pond Flex` [3183P] - 0.75mm 3 Core - this is described as being `suitable for external lighting - exposed to the Sun`s rays` - BUT this is only available on a 25 Metre Drum at a cost of £15.34.

"Hello sparkdog",

Apart from what I wrote the only other `identifying` detail is: 3183Y [1.5mm 3 Core / 15 Amp]

Is that a BS Number ?

I have noticed that the Pond Flex is noted to be 3183P

Thanks for your help - Arctic cable would definitely be much cheaper at approx. £3.30 inc. - instead of £15.34 inc. for a 25 Metre Drum.

Regards,

Chris

3183Y is standard PVC flex, 3183AG is arctic grade flex somebody somewhere is getting things mixed up beware what of what you are buying

[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp] BS 7919 [/FONT][FONT=&amp] (3183AG) [/FONT]Arctic flex is only recommended by the manufacturers and BS 5740-3 for temporary outdoor applications e.g. caravan hook-ups, temporary traffic lights and construction site transformers, festoon lights and power tools etc[/FONT].

3183Y is standard PVC flex, 3183AG is arctic grade flex somebody somewhere is getting things mixed up beware what of what you are buying

"Hello UNG",

Thanks very much for your message and for the query about the Spoecification of the Arctic Cable.

As I am not either Advertising or Identifying the Electrical Wholesaler concerned I hope that I am not breaking any Forum Rules by posting the Screenshot from their Catalogue below - this shows the 3183Y `Specification` and the comment about `Outdoor Use`.

Regards,

Chris

View attachment 17530

BS 7919 (3183AG) Arctic flex is only recommended by the manufacturers and BS 5740-3 for temporary outdoor applications e.g. caravan hook-ups, temporary traffic lights and construction site transformers, festoon lights and power tools etc.

"Hello MarkieSparkie",

Thanks for the Information about the Arctic Cable - UNG has also stated that the Electrical Wholesalers that I was going to use have got the Specification wrong when they state: 3183Y

What would You suggest I use - hopefully without having to buy a 25 Metre Drum of `Pond Flex` - ?

If the `3183Y` Arctic Cable is both incorrectly indicated regarding the Specification - AND even a correctly Specified Arctic Cable is only for `Temporary Connection` Use - I might as well use `Ordinary` Black Flex - as suggested by other Members - ?

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
Never come across such a polite and diligent poster as this "Chris Murphy".... if that is your real name.

Astounding attention to detail. What a well mannered chap. Absolutely no sarcasm involved.

"Hello wade88",

Thank You for your message and for the Compliment.

I do try to be Polite in every aspect of Life - unless I get a good reason to change My approach.

Regarding My `Name` - would I be correct in thinking that MOST of the Members on the Forum do NOT use their First Name and Surname as their `Forum Name` - ?

Although I have nothing to hide I believe that it is `Normal` to use a `Nom de Plume` on a Forum - ?

Regards,

Chris

Reply to `pond flex` or `arctic` cable for flex connection to outside halogen lights ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock