Discuss Poor work - by a 'proper electrcian' in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

richy3333

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I found this the other day and thought it worth posting as certain members are so dogmatic in their views and that makes me chuckle because life is never that black and white.

This is a new install (6 months ago) by a 'time served electrician' and it's in a public building. The installation has had no earth for 6 months. The cable end is not even dressed. I guess it was pushed through and then the meter cupboard door closed. It's not even to the standard of a bad Electrical Trainee.

(apologies the pic was the right way around until I uploaded it).

IMG_3970.jpg

photo.JPG

What's with the two tails left cut but unterminated as well. Looks like a job not yet finished this. Daz

looks that way. no circuit labels, missing blanks. no RCD label. etc.

aside from that, though, he can probably spell "electrician" .LOL.

Poor work - by a 'proper electrcian'

as long as you don't get arsey about it! LOL.:hand: oops.

How sure are you that it was the 'time served' electrician that carried out the work? It could have been one of his lackies. There are plenty of companies (owned and run by time served guys) round my way that send their lackies in to carry out substandard work!

How sure are you that it was the 'time served' electrician that carried out the work? It could have been one of his lackies. There are plenty of companies (owned and run by time served guys) round my way that send their lackies in to carry out substandard work!

Doesn't matter, they have a duty of care to ensure that the staff they use are capable of doing the work to the standards expected.
Otherwise they are cowboys...
Problem in this industry is that few want to point fingers and admit that there are a LOT of time served corner cutters out there doing the trade a disservice and giving other electricians a bad name and leaving installations in dangerous conditions.
The NICEIC etc allowing "qualified supervisors" is a total joke and yet so many councils etc will let NICEIC members sign off work without oversight and deny that all too often "qualified supervisors" are signing stuff off without even being on site doing the supervision!

Doesn't matter, they have a duty of care to ensure that the staff they use are capable of doing the work to the standards expected.
Problem in this industry is that few want to point fingers and admit that there are a LOT of time served corner cutters out there doing the trade a disservice and giving other electricians a bad name and leaving installations in dangerous conditions.
The NICEIC etc allowing "qualified supervisors" is a total joke and yet so many councils etc will let NICEIC members sign off work without oversight and deny that all too often "qualified supervisors" are signing stuff off without even being on site doing the supervision!

Totally agree with everything you said, however it would not then be his lack of skill that is causing his work to be substandard, it would be his lack of integrity. This problem is not just confined to the electrical industry and is not something as easy to stop as simply stopping 5WWs carrying out electrical work full stop.

People out there lack integrity and need dealing with sure, but there are many people out there who have the best will in the world but are simply not cutting the mustard when it comes to carrying out electrical installation work.

For every 100 time served sparks there will be 5 carrying out substandard work, for every 100 5WWs there will be 5 carrying out good work.

Pick the right battle mate :)

That is worse than the job being bodged by a DIYer.

Is there no way of tracing the company/individual responsible and reporting them to their notifying body.

Must be able to get them 'struck off'

'The best friendships are built on a solid foundation of alcohol, sarcasm, laughter and a dislike of the same people.'

As pointed out in previous threads, there has always been a rough or rouge element within our industry, but you will normally find these guy's to have been trained/apprenticed to let's say, less than good companies and have picked up those rough/rouge ways from early beginnings....

You could say the subject of this and other similar threads content, is all th more reason why the industry needs a National Register of Qualified Electricians, with teeth!! So as to deal with such people that produce below standard and or unsafe work etc, because none of the Scam providers will do anything about it, that's for damned sure!!

MBE - I SERIOUSLY doubt ANYTHING would be done, their members subs are their income so their vested interest is in keeping their membership numbers up and to heck with the reality.

DS- I don't think its quite as cut and dried as that....lot of bad apples in both camps....and its been going on for years...(I think everyone has turned up an installation done years ago that is a hatchet job plain and simple..)
Problem IMHO is that attitudes need to change.....for starters dropping the "you've missed the boat if your older than 16/18" line....I'd rather have someone of 28 or even 35 with their head screwed on as an apprentice than someone who is doing it half heartedly because "daddy got them the job" or who spends their life on their phone etc........
The way I'd do it in Scotland for example would be - strip all the ages off the SECTT results, make it a requirement for employers to take on the highest scoring candidates (With some serious questions asked if they try and wriggle out of it on the basis of age), remove the age related subsidy and provide it to all employers taking on apprentices of any age - sort of similar to the Canadian system but with some tweaks i.e. use local colleges rather than one centralised college (Saskatchewan for example I think uses one college for the whole province)
I also support the licensing system - However I'd also support a way for those wanting to be self employed to get certified, otherwise it risks over time becoming a cartel and a way to corner the market for a select few.
I'd also add categories (domestic, industrial, 3 phase, PV, alarms etc) to the license with expiry dates - meaning that ALL sparks would have to keep themselves up to date and get rid of companies with one spark being 17th edition qualified and a collection others who haven't been tested on their regs knowledge for years. Would also mean that some courses would be easier to get on as colleges would have more stable numbers and less "not enough numbers to run that course, try next year"
....and breathe.......
I'd also like to see

One thing I'll always remember from my military days:- "You delegate authority but never responsibility"

I'd also add categories (domestic, industrial, 3 phase, PV, alarms etc)

Though i agree with most of what you have said above, i'm afraid categorising will as it's doing now be de-skilling the industry which is just about the worst thing you can possibly do any industry or trade.

An Electrician should mean exactly that, without any if or buts!! The biggest problem for mature students is time and money if they have families and a mortgage to support. So if they can't or not prepared to do the time on low wages or salaries, then they should choose another trade or profession. In the real world there is unfortunately no fast track way to becoming a qualified electrician....

Reply to Poor work - by a 'proper electrcian' in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net