Discuss popping noise from wall in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

philtypet

Have a popping noise coming from the wall. There are 2 double sockets on the wall about 2 meters apart both of these have been changed to see if that would cure the problem. Popping noise is very random sometimes not heard for hours then can pop multiple times in a short period. Removed the new sockets and the back plate in the wall and the cables are drilled through the brick wall into the cavity and appear to go up towards the loft. No fuses blowing etc. The popping does not sound as though it's coming from the sockets but mid way up the wall. Any ideas what could be causing this?? Any advice much appreciated
Phil

Turn the circuit off and see if it stops . If it does you sounds as though you have a short in the wall. Are the sockets the only circuits you know of in that part of the wall.

Yes poss a breakdown in insulation! Get an electrician in who will be able to test the fixed wiring & confirm.

Ideally I'd strongly suggest switching off the circuit supplying the popping cables until its fixed. Its potentially a fire risk if that is the cause!

- - - Updated - - -

Ruston beat me :)

What made you suspect the popping noise was related to the socket supply? Is there another part to the story that you haven't shared yet? Perhaps a little DIY involving a drill and/or screws?

I'm not acusing you of anything, merely trying to get the full picture. It would be odd for undisturbed cable within a wall structure to develop a fault.

merely trying to get the full picture.

is that the picture hung on the wall with the nail through the cable?

solved. the cavity wall insulation cowboys used coco-pops. ( or was it rice crispies, snap, cracke, pop.)

Years ago I had this at a customers house, it turned out to be a junction box without a lid that had been plastered into the wall. At least, the noise stopped when I replaced the cable..

probably a rat chewed through a cable whilst eating a packet of exploding candy

The wall has no tv or anything that would have damaged the cables. The cables from the two wall sockets are drilled through the brick then go into the cavity wall. They are not chased into plaster. I assume these cables or one of them is responsible for the popping?Getting access to cavity wall is not possible.

The cables seem to run upwards to the loft.

I did notice the wiring in the loft electrics is different to the rest of the house not the red/black. Could the problem be where they have picked up a supply thus causing a popping noise in the bedroom wall below?

I have tuned of the electric for 2x nights and did not hear anything so assume it must be electrical problem.

As others have said, it's the cable insulation breaking down.
Had one at home many years ago, occasional load bangs & blown fuse.
Eventually there was an almighty loud bang, saw the flash through the gaps in floorboards, circuit fuse intact, suppliers fuse blown. Cable totally destroyed!
This was just a cable clipped to the underside of the ground floor joists.

Probably time to get an electrician in, unless of course you're capable yourself. :)

If you changed the sockets did you notice if it was PVC covered or was it black rubber ?

might not be insulation breakdown . could be a fractured conductor arcing.

Time for a bit of testing , if it has stopped when you have disconnected that circuit you have a problem that needs sorting PDQ.

If you have no test equipment it will be difficult to do yourself. You have a head start , at least you know what area it is in and which circuit it is. If the wire is in the cavity and you can hear it , it's one loud pop.

I had a customer with the same problem just a few months ago. A hell of pop!
Found it behind the skirting - chewed by a rat!
popping noise from wall {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Cracking pictures by the way. Were they taken with a camera or phone?

Same as post 17.

One time it was rat damage behind kitchen units and the second was from some crap work by someone else who had clipped the insulation of the cable when clipping to the wall.

On both occasions, the presence of damp made it worse.

Reply to popping noise from wall in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock