Discuss Possible room to room networking solution? in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, electrician here with basic networking knowledge.

Please see attached picture.
Im trying to over come a problem and just wondering if my possible solution will work or not.

A router has been installed in a room of a house via a junction box in a hallway where the telephone cable comes in and from here a 4 pair cat 5 cable goes to every room.

Is it possible to use the spare cores of cable 1 to come out of the Ethernet port of the router, come back down to the junction box and connect to cable 2.

Will I then be able to plug this into a switch and have wired Ethernet in room 2.

If it is possible, are there specific pairs i need to use?

thanks in advance for any help

View attachment 34990

View attachment 34991

Did some research on what pins do what in an ethernet cable, as I know some are unused.

Source: https://www.iplocation.net/rj45-wiring

and have come up with this monster, however there is no guarantee this would work, it's just what I think would work and would require testing.

Hope this helps

Possible room to room networking solution? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Wow, thanks man. Really appreciate it. I knew there was something about unbalancing the pairs that might make it not work. I didnt realise ethernet requires 2 pairs; why is that? Also can I use any sets of pairs? as Im not sure what has been used in cable 1 already

Thanks again.

Honestly don't know if you can use any sets of pairs. They are twisted to reduce interference and that would be the only issue I could think of. So long as you use pairs, I don't see an issue, just make sure you use a network tester because if any of the pairs are not kept as pairs, you can get cross talk depending on the length of the cable depends on the severity.

The reason for 2 pairs is for the transmit and receive wires.

Tx+
Tx-
Rx+
Rx-

It's more likely to work over short distances. Cat 6 would have mote chance of success I think.

Reply to Possible room to room networking solution? in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock