Discuss Potential main incoming fuse issue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Phillip100

Hello, I am new to the forum and I hope someone could help me with the following please

I have a family member who lives at a very large property with an indoor swimming pool and hot tub. This however uses a lot of power

its an old house so the original main incoming board is still intact. It has a 80 amp fuse protecting the main 100amp single phase. (Personally a three phase would be better)

When the heaters are on for the pool, and other household utilities, electric oven etc the total usage can peak to around 50-60 Amps. But it varies from 20-60amps mostly

the 80amp fuse can be nicely warm to the touch with all the power running through it. However, sometimes the 80 amp fuse can be really hot now and again for no reason for a couple of days! Very hot to touch and slightly smelly. (This is with even 25/30amp usage going through it) but with 55-60 amps most of the time is nicely warm!

what is causing this heat spike as such that's making the main 80amp fuse hot?

95% of the time it's fine but he has only started to have this issue

any info/feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks phil

possibly the fuse has a high resistance to it's carrier contacts.

Where would the loose connection likely be?

I don't think anyone on here will advise you on how to dabble with a live service fuse. Take the advise already given and contact the DNO to come and investigate. Thread closed.

Reply to Potential main incoming fuse issue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock