Discuss Power supply for showers in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

ma701ss

Hi, would appreciate some advice please, I'm not a sparks. I'm dealing with a refurb on a warehouse with three WCs and a total of 6 electric showers (2 in each WC) to be installed. They're unlikely to all be used at the same time but it's possible. Also in the warehouse there is a large industrial sized boiler of some kind, unsure what it does, but it's about 2m x 2m x 2m in size so presumably draws a bit of power. However been told by the electrician that the power supply isn't adequate to run the showers. I don't know yet if he meant the existing supply to each WC isn't adequate to run two showers, or if it's the total number of showers (i.e. 6) that's a problem. Is this likely an issue with the supply to the building, or an just an internal wiring issue? Basically can it be sorted out potentially by running a separate supply/circuit to each shower? A megaflo is an option but most of the time all showers will probably not be used very much, and it will be a headache to change things at this stage now.

Thanks

Why not ask the electrician who has told you the supply is not big enough?

AS Dolly parton once said " here we go again "
As above speak to your electrician.

Love these kind of posts....
As already said, be advised by your qualified, experienced electrician, and not a bunch of guys you've never met. :)

Well,
Electrick showers can take a lot of power, think of each one as 7 to 9 one bar electric fires. I would suggest going to your plumber and ask about a large unvented cylinder, this can be heater from gas or electric and helps to smooth out the demand over a longer time scale., and used with conventional not electric showers. You may find the cylinder not cheap, but could be cheaper than a new supply!

Love these kind of posts....
As already said, be advised by your qualified, experienced electrician, and not a bunch of guys you've never met. :)

If he's supposedly got all the answers because he's a qualified electrician, why are there qualified electrician's coming to this forum for advice from other electricians? He's not my electrician, he's the main contractor's electrician. I wanted an unbiased (second) opinion, he may be wrong anyway. Never mind fellas, thanks for your input.

Without knowing the rating of the incoming supply and the existing loads on it it's impossible to say,it could just be internal wiring that needs uograding or it could be the incomer.these guys aren't being hostile we just need more info.

Here’s an unbiased opinion, get a 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] electrician to look at the job.

Without knowing the rating of the incoming supply and the existing loads on it it's impossible to say,it could just be internal wiring that needs uograding or it could be the incomer.these guys aren't being hostile we just need more info.

No worries mate, I just wanted to know what it could potentially be, you might have said no it can only be an issue with supply to the building no matter how it's rewired internally. That would help me to know that.

Here’s an unbiased opinion, get a 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] electrician to look at the job.

What is it with you lot? Isn't the point of a forum to discuss things, or do you just come on here to demonstrate how smug you can be? I wasn't asking for the definitive solution, just in principal what the possible issues are, i.e. supply to the building, internal wiring or both.

Hi, would appreciate some advice please, I'm not a sparks. I'm dealing with a refurb on a warehouse with three WCs and a total of 6 electric showers (2 in each WC) to be installed. They're unlikely to all be used at the same time but it's possible. Also in the warehouse there is a large industrial sized boiler of some kind, unsure what it does, but it's about 2m x 2m x 2m in size so presumably draws a bit of power. However been told by the electrician that the power supply isn't adequate to run the showers. I don't know yet if he meant the existing supply to each WC isn't adequate to run two showers, or if it's the total number of showers (i.e. 6) that's a problem. Is this likely an issue with the supply to the building, or an just an internal wiring issue? Basically can it be sorted out potentially by running a separate supply/circuit to each shower? A megaflo is an option but most of the time all showers will probably not be used very much, and it will be a headache to change things at this stage now.

Thanks

Each electric shower should already have a separate supply circuit to each shower. Where a property/building calls for more than a couple of showers, it's always better and far more cost effective to provide a boiler system (preferably gas or oil fired system) or cylinder immersion heater Why do you need 6 showers in a warehouse anyway, what are you storing in this warehouse, ...Coal?? lol!!

6 showers say 8KW each that's a lot of Amps, as you said they may not be all used at the same time, but they might. My suggestion would be to get a M&E contractor in ti give you a quotation for the work, you never know they may be able to utilize the large boiler you mentioned. The Guys aren't being smug as you put it, it's just that we get an awful lot of chancers on here, and you have to admit you didn't dish out a great deal of information, get a couple of reputable firms in to give you a quote, and take it from there, and please let us know how you get on, I for one would be interested in the outcome.:detective:

If he's supposedly got all the answers because he's a qualified electrician, why are there qualified electrician's coming to this forum for advice from other electricians? He's not my electrician, he's the main contractor's electrician. I wanted an unbiased (second) opinion, he may be wrong anyway. Never mind fellas, thanks for your input.

So why do YOU think he's wrong?

What supply have you got?

The guys are not meaning to come across as smug, but we get questions like this a lot, and nowhere near enough info to answer the question.

Its a bit like me asking you:
I have 6 cars, they might all be used at once, they might not. How much petrol do I need?

like the analogy, spoon-1. OP-0.

like the analogyUOTE]

Thats the word I was looking for... Glad its Friday.

OK so just tell me this before I depart then please lads. As a client may want to see evidence rather than just take an electrician's word for it, or even and M&E consultant if I went that route, if I want to be sure the installation, incoming supply, etc. has been fully and properly tested and the number of permissable showers calculated rather than guesstimated, what type of electrical report should I be asking for?

So you're not a sparks, as you've already said, but you are dealing with the refurb. Are you a builder, architect, project manager? What do you actually expect to find out over the internet?
All I can honestly suggest is that you find a reputable, large electrical firm, with a proven track record of dealing with projects such as yours, then get them to provide a detailed quote on the work required.

The likelihood is that the incoming supply may not be suitable to supply six electric showers, however this is dependent on the capacity of the incoming supply and the capacity of the showers.
It would be unlikely that each shower's circuit is unsuitable, although poor installations and later unqualified "upgrades" do occur.
There are also the considerations of the chance of simultaneous use of the showers, if this is not possible or if interlocks are fitted to prevent this then the situation could be overcome.
Unfortunately without being able to see the installation we are unable to assess this with any degree of accuracy at a distance.

There would not be a specific form for this sort of assessment as it is based on opinion and interpretation of the regulations.
You could ask for an electrical installation condition report limited to the shower installations, but it would be better to get an electrician in and explain to him the situation and ask him to give his written opinion of the suitability of the installation of the showers. They may also be able to advise on the use of the boiler.

Reply to Power supply for showers in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net