Discuss Powering on 10 Meanwell HLG 240 LED drivers. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

JackBoy

Hello guys.

I have 10 x HLG-240 1400A drivers, which will run at 250W each.

The problem is, I did not know about the surge upon starting each driver, apparantly I cannot start more than 2 drivers at once per UK plug socket...

Please see attached.

I guess I could buy 10 different plug in timers nd stagger the settings, but I was wondering if there is a way I could do this using something like a Relay, or a Contactor, or perhaps a power surge protector plug extension...

What do you guys recommend.

Kind Regards

View attachment 36052

From what I have read up on this problem contactors and relays can weld together on these type of inrush currents. You can use power limiters on the controllers before the switch as it will suffer the most. But in reality there is a stepped inrush between each of the lights. I have seen this graphically illustrated on a site showing the time delay as the current goes to each light. In other words the full load will not be simultaneous but staggered between each light. We are talking 570 us per peak at each light. Worst case scenario is you will use power limiter per controller and type C MCB. Or two circuits with type C.
How To Select an Inrush Current Limiter | Ametherm - https://www.ametherm.com/inrush-current/selecting-an-inrush-current-limiter.html
For instance.

Hey Vortigern.

What If I was to get a Relay/Contactor thats rated way above the InRush current?

Also, I wondered if I could find a resistor at around 10A, and use it to "stop" the InRush occuring at all...

Why not just use an inrush current limiter. In fact I have fitted similar LED scenario and did the calc and thought crap that is going to fry the whole thing. But it did not and two years later is still working fine. What is at the other end of the the control gear some big high bay? Sounds like you are going to light up the south of England. Or how about a motor start circuit breaker which has a delay to cope with the inrush current?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, If I used a resistor, would I still have to stagger them?

As for the inrush current limiter, that might be the best option, can you recommend any you have used?

They connect to around 50 COB LEDS.

Look at the link I gave you. Would be a good starting point. But I would be inclined to connect up and see what happens first and alter the circuit from the results. Of course advising the client regards options and possibilities.

I think the relay misses where the prob will be it is at the MCB tripping end. Hence inrush limiter. Before the switch gear which will be the first thing to be damaged certainly over time. It is the control gear (switching supply) design that causes the problems. Perhaps a different control gear. If you do go the relay way talk to the manufacturer first before fitting and get their recommendation and seal of approval in writing. But sounds expensive when all you may need is type c mcb or motor start type. After all there is no need to re-invent the wheel here. Use what is normally used and have the assurance that the manufacturer will be to blame if it goes wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
And by the way I have not had to use inrush limiters on 160a inrush per control gear x 8! it worked on Type B fine. As I say the inrush is staggered. Not all the lights pull the current at exactly the same time. Related to distance apart and part of the phase in operation at the time. I think those figures are theoretical but there is proof out there that it just does not draw all the current at the same time. Any way off to have a tinnie and watch crap on the tv catch you manana.

Reply to Powering on 10 Meanwell HLG 240 LED drivers. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net