Discuss Powerline - slloooowww in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The tests on the earthing and neutral-earth voltage is something you'd have to get a sparky in for, you need special test equipment as well as the obvious hazards of having to make live tests on the incoming supply.

Ok, I guess its something I could speak to the developer about

You have to remember that's it's fibre coming into the router, hence the fast speeds. A powerline adapter can't produce the speeds that fibre optics can. You would be lucky to hit above 60mbps, unless your running servers I can't see the need in a domestic property for +60 speeds.

This is a well known problem, when using powerline adaptors in houses with RCD's and / or RCBO's

Best results are installations without RCD's or RCBO's

Before I connected my hard wired LAN, I had about 7 powerline adaptors around the house - they are Devolo units and their "dashboard" would show the speeds between different units.

All our circuits are on RCBO's so we had some slow links and some ultra fast links.

The powerline manufactures deny the issue exists but it does.

My FIL's house has 2 x CU's, each with an upfront RCD - its not possible to get a decent connection across the 2 fuseboards...

You have to remember that's it's fibre coming into the router, hence the fast speeds. A powerline adapter can't produce the speeds that fibre optics can. You would be lucky to hit above 60mbps, unless your running servers I can't see the need in a domestic property for +60 speeds.

Hmm, its not fibre. Its copper. Virgin only use fibre to the green cabs.

Without homeplugs, I can easily get 200mb/s.

PS. I do run servers in my property... I'm an IT consultant.

But I also stream a lot of TV so need the higher speeds.

This is a well known problem, when using powerline adaptors in houses with RCD's and / or RCBO's

Best results are installations without RCD's or RCBO's

Before I connected my hard wired LAN, I had about 7 powerline adaptors around the house - they are Devolo units and their "dashboard" would show the speeds between different units.

All our circuits are on RCBO's so we had some slow links and some ultra fast links.

The powerline manufactures deny the issue exists but it does.

My FIL's house has 2 x CU's, each with an upfront RCD - its not possible to get a decent connection across the 2 fuseboards...

No idea what a CU is or whether I have upfront Rcds.. but I've attached a photo?!

20170621_222146.jpg

CU = Fuseboard

You have 2 x RCD's

With this set up I would expect decent performance between the top floor sockets and the middle floor sockets...

Let's think about this..

You have a 200 MB/s connection.

Even the Devlo 1200 Mb/s adapters top out at under 400 in real world testing which is 50 MB/s

So they seem to be working fine.

MB internet speed, Mb file transfer speed.

You're the IT bloke, is that correct?

Your units are also 1200 Mbps so they would max out at 150 MB/s but they would only achieve that in a lab. NEVER in the real world.

Mb/MB... Tomato/Tomato.... lets not get into the nitty gritty ha.

Using speedtest.net without homeplug - 225
Using speedtest.net with homeplug - 70

In my old house, I used to get around 150/160 with homeplug so double what I'm getting now.

Mb/MB... Tomato/Tomato.... lets not get into the nitty gritty ha.

Using speedtest.net without homeplug - 225
Using speedtest.net with homeplug - 70

WTF?

You do know the 2 are apples and oranges don't you?

The speeds you claim are impossible if you look at the numbers I quoted are they not?

How can a 1200 powerline adapter ever max out or above its speed rating.

The adapter is the bottle neck here as Lankywill said.

Tech Radar said:
Our average real-world speed score for these latest adapters was 105Mbps – miles below the claimed 1,200Mbps but enough to greatly improve on your home network if you rely on standard Wi-Fi. The Netgear adapters reached 102Mbps. The similar Trendnet Powerline 1200 AV2 just pipped it at 110Mbps.

IMG_0301.PNG

WTF?

You do know the 2 are apples and oranges don't you?

The speeds you claim are impossible if you look at the numbers I quoted are they not?

How can a 1200 powerline adapter ever max out or above its speed rating.

The adapter is the bottle neck here as Lankywill said.

View attachment 36931

Speedtest.net returns its result in Mbps.

NetGear PL1200 give 1200Mbps (- Powerline 1200, 1 Port - http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/powerline/PL1200.aspx)

A tomato is a tomato, no matter how you pronounce it.

Try a similar side by side on the end of a long extension lead ,
for more clues !
(get a pencil eraser on those plug pins )
...Once you've had fast ...
(now SSD addicted)

the speed of my computer depends on how long it takes for the valves to warm up.

Reply to Powerline - slloooowww in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net